PDA

View Full Version : Help Installing Ceramic Blanket

adk1
01-10-2012, 06:54 PM
I ahve a Leader 2x6. I have removed all of the brick and am planning on installing the 2" ceramic woven blanket (rated 2300degrees) in it. I also plan on rebricking over with 1/2 brick. HAs anyone done this that could give me some pointers? It would be appreciated.

Jec
01-10-2012, 07:24 PM
Well you need to secure it to the sides. You can do it 2 ways. You can use bolts with washers and drill through your sides to hold it. Or you can drill some rivets out on the rail and put fasteners through those holes. Both will do the same job, but you will get a cleaner look the second way.
Hope this helps,
Joey

adk1
01-10-2012, 07:48 PM
I iwll have to look at the rail. I would suspect that you mean under the rail? I havent really looked at it close enough, but you make a good point!

SeanD
01-10-2012, 10:26 PM
I used 1" blanket then bricked over it in my Mason 2x6. I found that if you cut the pieces of blanket slightly larger, like a fraction of an inch, it snugs into its spot and is held in place by the rail, corner etc. Just be gentle and try not to compress the blanket too much. It loses it's effectiveness if it's compressed. You shouldn't need to attach it with anything. A few times, the high end would flop over as I was bricking the arch, but I just lifted it up as a put each brick in. As the bricks got high enough, they just held it up.

Two inches is pretty thick blanket. Make sure you have enough space on your grate rail to rest your first string of bricks.

Sean

lakeview maple
01-10-2012, 11:40 PM
ADK 1 where are you located .I just did my arch ,your more than welcome to come and see

adk1
01-11-2012, 05:49 AM
thanks guys. SeanD I know that when I get to the firebox I will have that issue. I was thinking about going with the full thickness brick on the bottom below the grates then as I come up to meet with the grates I was going to use half brick. I wasent going to add the blanket below the grates anyways. Did you? Also, did you use the refractory cement after bricking? I bought some.

This am I looked at the evap. Thanks for the tip on drilling out the rivots. That is exactly what I am going to do. Will be perfect.

SeanD
01-11-2012, 04:53 PM
I actually didn't insulate, nor brick below the grates. Though if you do put full bricks down there, they may stick out far enough to rest your half bricks on. I figured the cool air coming in would help keep the temperature down. It didn't get hot or if it did I never noticed.

I did use refractory cement for the joints and corners. You'll definitely need to do that, but I only did the firebox and up the ramp. Everything from there back is set in dry.

Sean

adk1
01-11-2012, 07:25 PM
Yeah, I was reading a manual on Vermont style evaps on the Leader website. It was saying that you should block the arch6-12" off the ground. Reason #1 was for good air flow under the grates, and #2 for easy ash removal. I was going to make up an ash pan that would fit under there but now I am thinking about leaving it more open. Right now I ahve the back left open as I ran out of block to put behind it. anyone else leave the back open???

I doubt that I will add refractory cement under the flue pan, especially for those bricks that lay flat on the bottom. the others I may just fill in the gaps.

smokeyamber
01-12-2012, 02:20 PM
Related question on the blanket insulation, can you leave uncoverd ? Like on the section under the back pan ? I was thinking of using some, but with it and bricks I will lose needed space under my flue pan.

Jec
01-12-2012, 02:29 PM
You can leave it uncovered. You want where wood can hit covered. But other than that you can leave it uncovered.

adk1
01-12-2012, 02:37 PM
really. I ahve heard somewhat mized reviews on not covering even in the flue pan area. I still havent figured what I am going to do there yet. Would save alot of time and $$ not bricking that part. Would bascially brick entire firebox area and up the "ramp"..would love to hear some more chime in on this

whalems
01-12-2012, 03:00 PM
I would brick the whole thing. It only took me 3-4 hours to brick a 4x12. so I don't think time is a real issue. and it would be alot easier to clean then getting all that ash out of the ceramic blanket. Just my thoughts. Mike

smokeyamber
01-12-2012, 03:07 PM
Cost is what made me ask the question as well ADK.... I don't mind shaking out the blanket for the back half at seaon's end. Can't see it piling up too much to interfere. Main question is does the heat affect the blanket more when it's exposed ( i.e. break it down ) ? I could even put sheet metal over it if needed, still cheaper then bricking and takes up less space in my setup.

SeanD
01-12-2012, 04:33 PM
Yes, the heat definitely breaks it down. It develops a brittle layer or crust on it. You'll never shake it out, it's way too fragile. I can't speak for the sheet metal, but laying in the brick dry in that part, went very quickly and I didn't have to make any cuts. I just filled the small gap along the rail with arch board. Cut into strips, I was able to use less than one board.

Sean

lastwoodsman
01-12-2012, 04:45 PM
According to Haynes and others they have the blanket right on top of the brick. I just did this last week-end. I left the brick in place and insulated the area behind and to the sides of the flu pan. I did not put it underneath the flu pan. It won't burn I see no problem doing it this way.
Took me ten minutes to install all of it. This was 2 inch material

Woodsman

mapleman3
01-12-2012, 05:22 PM
The problem with the blanket in the back is when....or if(you should)brush the flues between boils... you will rip up the blanket.

On my raised flue I actually filled the back with vermiculite or similar...and then I poured a bag or so of mortor mix over that and watered it good...it set hard...works like a champ

sent from my Verizon Droid Charge using Tapatalk.

adk1
01-12-2012, 06:45 PM
I am adding the 2" blanket against the galv and cast arch. then I am covering it with 1/2 brick. That is my plan

getting started
01-13-2012, 06:05 PM
Call me 518-572-6240 , i just rebricked my 2x6 the same way with blanket and brick ,i ll tell ya how i did mine.

red maples
01-14-2012, 01:50 PM
I am just not a fan of the blanket for insulating the arch. I just think the arch board is so much easier to use. thats just me!!!

adk1
01-14-2012, 03:38 PM
Well, mine is DONE DONE DONE! I added the 2" ceramic blanket throughout (minus under the firebox). then I added 1.24" firebrick throughout the firebox and up the ramp. that is where it is ended. Unfortunatly, not thinking ahead enough, I never measured my drop flues and now I do not have enough room to add the firebrick. My thought is to just cut a piece of galvanized metal or something and place over the top of the insulation. I think that the only reason for really adding the firebrick is to protect the blanket when crushing it..thoughts?

Ecnerwal
01-14-2012, 04:20 PM
You can get (generically) rigidizer or (brandedly) ITC 100 coating to brush (or preferably spray, I guess) on the top of the blanket (and ITC 296A over that if going for the ultimate) without adding much thickness. Look them up, shop around - not claiming to have tracked down the best source, so I'll skip a link - google will find you many sources at many prices...