PDA

View Full Version : Major snow/ cold omming

Tapping Wolf
01-10-2012, 08:41 AM
Glad I held off tapping most my trees....the old timers were right, winter is comming back strong...big snow comming wed. night to the northern midwest follwed by several weeks of cold....might last into feb!

adk1
01-10-2012, 09:02 AM
not in the NE...Supposed to be sleet, snow, rain.

Tapping Wolf
01-10-2012, 09:13 AM
not in the NE...Supposed to be sleet, snow, rain.

I would hope at least the cold temps would make it out to you guys...

adk1
01-10-2012, 09:58 AM
supposed to be colder, but still not like normal that is for sure. We have 0" of snow on the ground here

bowtie
01-10-2012, 11:20 AM
no snow here in the southern tier either. ground not close to being frozen. pretty sloppy in the woods and i have to get cutting firewood. probably not even going to get ice on the lakes for ice-fishing for at least two weeks, crazy!! not complaning but i have gone ice-fishing before christmas. heck some small ponds not frozen, last weekend went duck hunting on a small pond and did awesome 3 hunts,3 guys 41 mallards and black ducks. best duck hunts i've had, wish deer season was close to that "good".

mother nature seems about 1 month behind schedule, at least our schedule!!

Revi
01-10-2012, 12:11 PM
I went to Alfred and it was always cold and snowy by Christmas. I am surprised that there isn't any snow there yet. We used to go XC skiing by this time over at Phillips Creek. I got a dog in Belmont. Nice place. I can't imagine it without a winter. It hasn't really started here yet either.

01-10-2012, 01:50 PM
We are suppose to get some snow on Thursday I hope we get a few good storms.

danno
01-10-2012, 02:05 PM
I went to Alfred and it was always cold and snowy by Christmas. I am surprised that there isn't any snow there yet. We used to go XC skiing by this time over at Phillips Creek. I got a dog in Belmont. Nice place. I can't imagine it without a winter. It hasn't really started here yet either.

Revi, when did u go to Alfred? I graduated '87. Did you see the new Trader member who is an active student. Guess the U. is starting a small maple program. Good times for sure!

Tom_saw
01-11-2012, 08:40 PM
I hope it gets cold soon , the Bradford Pear tree in my yard is getting ready to bloom .

Rossell's Sugar Camp
01-11-2012, 09:09 PM
If my pear tree was getting ready to bloom i would be tapping quick :o

Goggleeye
01-11-2012, 10:43 PM
I hope it gets cold soon , the Bradford Pear tree in my yard is getting ready to bloom .
Same here. The Easter flowers are a couple inches tall and the Silver maple buds are swelling.

smokeyamber
01-12-2012, 04:47 PM
Winter is here in Central VT... snowing nicely today, highs this weekend in the teens with below zero ath night... january thaw is OVER !!! :lol: Good thing cause I'm not READY !!!:o

01-12-2012, 05:24 PM
I too am not ready but we got close to a foot of snow today we were suppose to get rain but we haven't yet

Tapping Wolf
01-13-2012, 06:31 AM
I was able to make a few pints of fancy, and few pints of dark amber...before winter came back...off few trees I "sampled," looks like its going to stay cold for a while now....glad winter is back, hope you guys back east in the Maple Mecca (NH, NY, ME, MA, CT....ect) are getting this cold weather...I gotta go shovel snow

argohauler
01-13-2012, 07:04 AM
Here in the banana belt of southern Ontario, we're going to get 4 days of winter and then it looks like more rain.

Ausable
01-13-2012, 07:18 AM
Winter caught up with us during the night - Have at least 5 inches of Snow and Our current temp. here is 18F. We got off easy. Our friends in the Lake effect snow belt got hammered pretty good ----- Whoops! Going to have to get the snow thrower out for the first time.

William B
01-13-2012, 10:24 AM
Glad to see the cold weather set in for awhile. I hope it stays cold until the second week of February.
We got a lot of work done since December. We had nice weather for clearing paths and installing 2,000 foot of main lines for vacuum with laterals for over 200 more taps. We added two 300 gal. bulk tanks next to the 500 gal. in the woods for the releaser. We got over 5 cords of wood cut and split. a temporary steam hood built over the 5' x 22' to see if will work before making a more permanent one. Last summer we built a new 24x32 dump shed to replace the 20x22 dump shed. So come tapping time we will be ready.

sugarsand
01-13-2012, 03:37 PM
Danno, when I was still driving the big rig, I used to deliver feed to a store there in Jordan. I remember the guy that unloaded me was nicknamed OOGIE. Is he still around?

sugarsand