PDA

View Full Version : Couldn't wait

wvsugarshak
01-10-2012, 07:52 AM
Hi. Well I just couldn't wait. so I thought I would just put in a few which ended up to be about 30 I figured that"s not to many to re tap if thing don't pan out. Sugar content must be high this year Cause I can taste the sweetness in the sap will have to get the hyd out and get a real test. Getting about 1/2 to 3/4 gallon a day out of each tap I know it will slow down and freeze. but it"s just the old sweet sickness of not want to miss a drop. will let you know how things go. should have enough to fried up the still this coming weekend!!!!

WVsugarshak

220 maple
01-11-2012, 05:46 AM
I'm not surprised you started, I will be curious if the syrup is off flavor due to the warm temps? It can be light an fancy and still be buddy I've been told. I'm hoping for a couple hard freezes before I open anything, I guess I'm three mountain ranges west of you.

Mark 220 Maple

wvsugarshak
01-11-2012, 07:38 AM
yesterday pull 18 gal of sap off those trees. Yes this is just a try and see for me. good luck in the upcoming season. will keep post on this early try.

S Culver
01-11-2012, 03:19 PM
sugarshak it's a little early for us, still waiting on winter. hek I still need to build my conc arch for this year. Hopefully last year in temp quarters for this production. how far are you from Romney?

wvsugarshak
01-12-2012, 08:11 AM
I'm east of you a real little town{one house} the town is unger WV. It's 13 mile south of Berkeley Springs. Yeah I know its early but by my usual start date Feb 14 it was 80 degrees last year. Would love to come see you set up. let me know.

over 20 gals sap yesterday

\WVsugarshak