PDA

View Full Version : Saddle VS 4 way inline

Takoda Whitcomb
01-09-2012, 07:15 PM
We have used both types in the past but we are adding new line and cant decide what to use. my dad wants to use the saddles but iv alaways liked the 4 way inlines. we have no vacuum. what fitting is the best?

markct
01-09-2012, 07:27 PM
for me it depends if i need one opening or 3 or 4 or 6, usualy tho you will find that with saddles they are faster and its less tubing if you put individual saddles right where you need them instead of trying to make mulitple lines go all the way to the same fitting. i can put in 4 saddles faster than i can cut the line and put in a fitting and pull it back tight and clamp it together then retie it to the mainline.

Rossell's Sugar Camp
01-09-2012, 08:07 PM
The way i look at it is if you are going to do it. Do it right or dont do it at all. The saddles are a lot better for sap and air flow in the line because of the really small part of the gasket inside. This really helps to not restrict air flow and does not let sap pool where the pipe is cut. And they are directly on the top of the line. Not blocking any vacuum from entering the lateral line on high sap flows. I like the lappiere super saddles and slide fittings. I went to a tubing seminar and Tom Patterson said that if you do everything right you can acheive over a gallon per tap!

rchase
01-09-2012, 09:00 PM
Ive never heard of anyone getting a gallon a tap. Has anyone on here ever done it?

Rossell's Sugar Camp
01-09-2012, 09:05 PM
Tom Patterson has done it. His smallest main lines are 1 inch and he oversizes everything for maximum vacuum and sap flow. He prunes his trees and everything. He also taps really conservatively.

rchase
01-09-2012, 09:18 PM
i will have to talk to him about it when i see him next. tom likes that new saddle that lapierre has the "brandon saddle". they have a lot bigger hole in the gasket and straps are more in center to put more pressure on the center of the gasket.