PDA

View Full Version : tapping in early...partially

morningstarfarm
01-09-2012, 11:27 AM
hey all..looking at this wierd weather I have to admit I am seriously considering tappin about 1/3 of my bucket trees..
Question is...if I tap each multiple tap tree only once..if the weather changes and those holes dry out..will it affect the other holes I would tap in later?..now, I know everyone..(yes you brad)..is thinking I am nuts here..but I usually tap in here on or around feb 1..so this is not really that early..these are all sugar maples in broad sunlight..surrounding hay fields..Thoughts?..would welcome them..

maplwrks
01-09-2012, 12:18 PM
Down boy!!! Go ahead and tap....you will be on the classified section looking for new buckets in 2 weeks!!!

Cake O' Maple
01-09-2012, 03:18 PM
I don't believe that the hole drilled in January will affect the other holes drilled in Feb; you're just looking at the overall tree health, and won't want to place more holes this year than you normally would, whether all at once or split up.

But I'm pretty sure that's what you're already saying; i.e., a tree normally taking 3 taps will receive 1 in Jan, and 2 more taps placed in Feb or whenever you start. Just wanted clarity so misunderstandings don't start a war here...

By the by, I decided to tap some of my trees this weekend. I tapped w/ 5/16" taps yesterday and today, and will ream those holes into 7/16" taps when the regular season arrives. I don't have that many, and they're all on tubing into buckets, so the increased labor and cost of more taps than I would have bought is all the harm. Every taphole was running before I could get the tap in.

Go ahead...call me nuts. I can take it. I'll just sit by Chris.

NH/Pete
01-11-2012, 01:38 PM
So Chris did you tap?

SSFLLC
01-11-2012, 01:47 PM
Of coarse he did. It only takes one too piss off the maple goddess. Snow tomorrow and friday and bitter cold after that. Just kidding Keith

morningstarfarm
01-11-2012, 04:49 PM
nope..but I am firing the arch saturday to test the new steam hood..and cleaning all tanks sunday..after that if this bug is still eating me..I will reevaluate the forcasts..now, my situation is kind of unique around here..all my trees surround my hay fields..I dont have a tree more that 50 feet in the woods..between that and being close to the coast...my trees run pretty early..if it hits 25-28 degrees in sunshine..my trees all run well..at 35 they gush...last 3 years i tapped in on feb 1...down side is they shut down about a month earlier than most..

NH/Pete
01-13-2012, 08:51 AM
You're a lucky man Chris.

Hope you let me stop in to visit when you get cooking this season. Be cool to see everything up and running this year.