PDA

View Full Version : Taking this year off

mapleman3
01-09-2012, 06:42 AM
Well after much consideration and looking at time and finances I have decided to take this year off from sugaring. I have another bush I want to tube up...convert to oil..buy oil and other things...just cashed out and not ready....spool. gonna retool, build up....and get a jump on next season.
In the meantime it lets me go visit some operations is full swing this year. It isn't many times you can go boil with your buddies....
Also with the trees the way they are this year from storms and this crazy warm weather...its not that hard of a decision to make.

So watch out out there...mapleman3 may be knocking at your door with a six pack in hand some weekend or evening.

sent from my Verizon Droid Charge using Tapatalk.

adk1
01-09-2012, 02:12 PM
WOW, this is the first time I have ever heard someone post this on the site! Cant just keep it smaller? Not tap so many or haul so far? Maybe you should ahve kept that half pint :)

mapleman3
01-09-2012, 02:40 PM
Yeah that's the problem when you go bigger... but I'm okay with that I still have enough syrup for me... unfortunately my customers will suffer but I know they'll be back. if I have to I'll pick up a drum of syrup re bottle
Not giving it up totally just 1 year

mountainvan
01-09-2012, 05:19 PM
just a six pack?

SeanD
01-09-2012, 06:56 PM
You're bringing beer? I'll see you tomorrow! Actually, what are you doing right now?!

Oh man, that's tough, but you are making the best of it and finding something fun and maple-related to do with the season. I know when I had to miss an entire season from our house flood, I was maple crazy the whole spring. I visited a sugarhouse/coop nearby and I thought they were going to have to call security. I think "stalker" is a strong word, but I will admit I had some difficulty pulling myself away.

Good luck!

Sean

P.S. I'm on a big IPA kick right now.:D

wcproctor
01-09-2012, 07:10 PM
On your way out of Hopkinton you can stop in Uxbridge. I have plenty of beer (i have a tap system, shhhhhh) Good luck Jim.

Greenwich Maple Man
01-09-2012, 07:49 PM
Well after much consideration and looking at time and finances I have decided to take this year off from sugaring. I have another bush I want to tube up...convert to oil..buy oil and other things...just cashed out and not ready....spool. gonna retool, build up....and get a jump on next season.
In the meantime it lets me go visit some operations is full swing this year. It isn't many times you can go boil with your buddies....
Also with the trees the way they are this year from storms and this crazy warm weather...its not that hard of a decision to make.

So watch out out there...mapleman3 may be knocking at your door with a six pack in hand some weekend or evening.

Have you thought about tapping what is setup and selling the sap? Would be extra $$$ for next year!!!!

RileySugarbush
01-09-2012, 07:52 PM
We will be waiting for you out in Minnesota!

markct
01-09-2012, 08:10 PM
jim it was nice to meet you last year when we stopped up to see your place, i too am going crazy with changes this year, added another vac tank, ro, filter press gear pump, sugarhouse addition, and meeting with a guy tommorow to discuss leasing another maybe 500 taps, that will have me rushing to get ready, good thing they are right next door to our land! if you want to make the trip down just let me know we will be here, i cant imagine taking a season off!

Rossell's Sugar Camp
01-09-2012, 08:14 PM
I cant afford to take a year off. I just bought a 3X10 and put up a new 16 by 20 sugar shack. putting out another 132 taps and new releasor. Put in a lot of money. we have to make some of it back! :o

Greenwich Maple Man
01-09-2012, 09:20 PM
I cant afford to take a year off. I just bought a 3X10 and put up a new 16 by 20 sugar shack. putting out another 132 taps and new releasor. Put in a lot of money. we have to make some of it back! :o

"I can't afford to take a year off" great to hear. Would you like to join my club????? I to have made some big investments this year. Hope to make it all back soon!!!!! Plus I wouldn't want to take it off anyways.

MapLewis
01-11-2012, 09:50 PM
Jim,

Sorry to hear this.... but totally understand the commitment required. But hey, I'm only 5 miles away... you are welcome to come by put a few back with our crew and tell me what I'm doing wrong with my new oil rig. Heck, you influenced my decision to go to oil this year anyway. You are more than welcome to swing by and "consult" on our operation. We pay in beer, have cable TV in the shack!
Hope to see you in a month or so.

Bryon Lewis

mapleman3
01-12-2012, 05:37 PM
I will absolutely be "stalking "I mean visiting you guy....Byron...you will deffinately see me about your setup.....have you test run it yet? Has anyone "set the burner"? Yet
I have digital combustion testing equipment that I use for my job...would be glad to help out.....

Minnesota? I'm a diehard Vikings fan for almost 40 years...would love to once go out there lol

GramaCindy
01-12-2012, 06:19 PM
I will absolutely be "stalking "I mean visiting you guy....Byron...you will deffinately see me about your setup.....have you test run it yet? Has anyone "set the burner"? Yet
I have digital combustion testing equipment that I use for my job...would be glad to help out.....

Minnesota? I'm a diehard Vikings fan for almost 40 years...would love to once go out there lol

REALLY? A DIE HARD Vikqueens fan….you need to make the conversion to the Green Bay PACKERS!!!!!!!!

MapLewis
01-18-2012, 05:19 PM
Jim,

I ordered up an new burner (Carlin 102) should have it hooked up very soon. I will give you a ring as soon as I have it plumbed in and oil in the tank filled. I would appreciate any of your help & knowledge in this new oil burner setup. As always, the season is coming fast and I'm feeling overwhelmed with everything. Normal.

Thanks again for the offer of help.
Bryon

mapleman3
01-24-2012, 06:58 AM
Bryon...hopefully your piping the oil as a two pipe system...a supply and return. No worries about having to bleed the oil...also helps warm the tank of oil once its running.

The weather is so weird this season looks like sugaring weather already every other day...

MapLewis
01-25-2012, 08:43 PM
Jim,

Carlin 102 Burner just arrived...having the electrical run tomorrow and a (experienced) oil guy come by at 5:30 to "plan" the set-up & line running to tank. I will mention (strongly suggest) the two line system to be installed. I hope to be ready for a test fire within a week. If you have any free time and want to stop over... hint hint...we have cold frosties..& i could use your oil evaporator experience & expertise. No pressure.

This weather has me scrambling around like an idiot...I just have to be patient though.

I have your number...i will give you a ring Thursday.
Thanks again,
Bryon

Farmboy
01-27-2012, 09:09 PM
Jim I'm just a few miles around the corner from Maxwell Road and my sugar shack is always open for free labor I mean another sugar maker looking to satisfy his addiction. lol. I boil almost every night and weekends.

Sugarmaker
01-30-2012, 08:53 PM
Jim,
Understand! Your always welcome here in NW PA.
Regards,
Chris

MapLewis
01-31-2012, 08:25 AM
We tapped 50 or so yesterday... going to do a "staggered start" over the next few weeks and see how the temps shake out. We have access to more trees than we can handle, so tap holes drying up are not a concern. Some holes were wet yesterday, some dry.
A slow start will allow us to get comfortable with the new rig before the season is full on. We tapped feb. 13th last year...so its really not extremely early for us here in Monson.

Is it just me, or is every person that knows we sugar saying "i hear its going to be a bad maple season?" ...there is NO such thing as a bad maple season.

Jim, single oil line system was installed...I was over ruled. We should be boiling this weekend if you want to come by and critique the install.