PDA

View Full Version : 2012 at Morningstar Farm

morningstarfarm
01-08-2012, 09:47 PM
Hey all..Well, another year is ramping up to begin. Began the preseason Hog out of the sugar shack this weekend...got the final cord of the wood cut and in..so thats finally done..doing a little remodeling now..new work benches..shelves..and a new steam hood. then its time to go through all the buckets and tubing to make the annual trek to Bascoms. This weather is killing me...need at least another 6 months to get everything ready, and its running now..we'll see what happens this week..if nothing else its going to be an exciting winter lol..good to see you all after the summer away...

morningstarfarm
01-16-2012, 02:25 PM
hey all...finished all the improvements this weekend...temporarily set the pans yesterday..filled her with 40 gallons of water..and fired her up..had about a dozen people either there for the lighting..of come through during it..took aabout 45 minutes to get all the bugs worked out..no leaks, few glitches worked out...the new hillbilly steam hood performed flawlessly..the slabs fired hot..burned her for about an hour all out..and removed about 6 gals of water at the end..drained everything...and pulled pans..headed to have them steam cleaned tomorrow..and a vinegar boil on saturday..picked up 2 new tanks from amber this morning..(thanks Josh)..will set them tomorrow after steam cleaning them tomorrow as well..now for just the final clean up...inventory all the maple stuff..and make the annual trek to bascoms friday...should be ready to tap by sunday...on a lighter side..my son keeps messing with me...the tapping drill appeared beside my bed this morning...then later found it in my truck...he is tempting me...lol

Mark-NH
01-16-2012, 06:24 PM
Hold. Hold. Steady.

red maples
01-16-2012, 09:29 PM
Hey Chris....hold out a little more man!!! don't give in!!! is beena strange winter though one the the strangest I have seen!!! after this storm it will be close to early srping type weather for a few days... I haven't started my 2012 journal yet. I have been butchering a 1/2 cow for the last week hopefully finish things up tomorrow with the smoker, made bologna, summer sausage, kilebasa, and hot dogs!!! smoker will be blazing tomorrow!!! Then its crunch time for me to get everything finished by tapping time!!! making a hood myself and just little changes here and there nothing crazy for this year. Glad to hear from ya

morningstarfarm
01-16-2012, 10:03 PM
hey brad..**** kid is messing with me...wife went to bed and found my drill under the pillow...its not fair lol...he knows I am jonesing...anyways, if you want to come check out the hood we made...feel free to give me a yell...it was cheap for a prototype..and works well enough that i may just stick with it...

red maples
01-17-2012, 01:25 PM
I am making a metal one I am picking up materials in a few days. It will be very similar to yours. I got the pick today thanks. I have to order a few things that I can't find here (the right size aluminum stack and a fan with a metal blade with a higher heat rating) other than that hopefully I will start on it either this weekend or early next week.

Amber Gold
01-17-2012, 04:08 PM
Chris, thanks for stopping over yesterday and bringing your partner in crime. If you/her are interested, you're more than welcome to stop by during the season and see the RO in action. Will keep following your thread.

Remember, no drilling holes until mid-February the earliest, late Feb./early March if you're not on vacuum.

morningstarfarm
01-17-2012, 05:02 PM
hehe..will be tapped and making s ton of syrup probably by then...last season i had made 30 gals by maple weekend..
andfor the last 4 years i have been all tapped in and boiling on valentines day..
but as I said..my trees are a pretty unique situation..

SSFLLC
01-17-2012, 05:02 PM
Hi Brad, what are you using for your hood? I'm also looking to build one before the start of the season. Do you have a lay out of how you are going to make it? Chris sounds like your ready unlike the rest of us. Looks like the little bit of snow we had will be gone soon with this rain. Keith

morningstarfarm
01-17-2012, 05:14 PM
ok guys..have been experimenting with power hoods for a few years now..and have finally pretty much perfected it..next year i may make her out of stainless..couple suggestions..make your prototype out of 2x2 s and 6 mil plastic..holds up really well to the steam..its very cheap..(i spent 30 bucks)..and best of all..it is light..if you dont like it...just throw it in the arch and burn it..As for alum round stack..its over rated...tried that a couple generations ago..and it is a nightmare to keep attached..just fram in a box out of 2x2's and sheath with 3/8plywood in a square..it fits right into the top of the hood and supports the hood very nicely..the attic exhaust fans are all metal and work very nicely..my roof is a shed roof..so i have the one with the mushroom on it to keep water out..for a cupola they make them horizontal..cost about 100 bucks and has lasted me 3 seasons so far and is going strong..after you figure out exactly what you want and how it will work..then go get the metal...metal is a pain to modify if you dont liike something..and we all know how finicky maple guys are..will try to get some pics up in the next few days...the one i have now handles my 2x6 running full out with no problem..without any blowback from the wind shifting..LOVE IT..

morningstarfarm
01-17-2012, 05:17 PM
oh and the kid outdid himself tonight...found my drill in the refrigerator...he is enjoying his torturing me wayy too much...lol

SSFLLC
01-18-2012, 07:53 AM
Take that drill and screw his shoes to the floor.

mtcrumpit
01-20-2012, 11:40 AM
serve it on his plate for dinner

morningstarfarm
01-20-2012, 04:53 PM
now that one i like...serve it for dinner..gotta LOVE that...anyways..has been a busy week..tanks are set..just did the annual trek to bascoms and picked up pretty much everything i needed..tonight..am mounting the last tank on its little trailer..and finishing up some details..then clean up all the tools and stuff..****...for the first time ever..i am going to be ready early...final cleaning boil on sun afternoon.. then a couple hours on the pressure washer and i am ready...will be finishing up the tubing runs at my sons school on tues..if the weather looks pretty good..i am going to tap it in...now its all about the waiting game...oh and before i start a firestorm..that tubing is about a mile from the ocean..it runs a good 5-8 degrees warmer there..and its more for the experience of it than anything...now.. I dont know if I should hope for warm days..or snow..lol...but i have a gut feeling it is going to be warm then cold then blow right to 60 and stay there...gonna take my chances i guess...
good luck all...

red maples
01-21-2012, 03:27 AM
Hey thanks again...man delivery and everything!!! I was at the Docs with my daughter!!! but saw he tire tracks in front of the SH. Hope you had fun is asuck drive but its like a kid in a candy store looking at all the Stainless and blue plastic stuff when you get there. When you have syrup and are ready to make candy give me a call we'll set a date to get some made!!!

morningstarfarm
01-21-2012, 01:28 PM
np problem..was a nice drive actually in the snow..very pretty out..got all we needed and then some lol...

morningstarfarm
01-21-2012, 01:30 PM
NOW for a new topic...looking at the accuweather 15 day forcast for my zip...(03865)...and with all my trees being in direct sun...I am seriously considering tapping in half my taps MONDAY...looks very good for next 2 weeks...

any opinions? after looking at forecast please...

thanks all...

SSFLLC
01-21-2012, 01:48 PM
Its close enough if your using check valve spouts. I would tap. Last year you where always 4 to 6 degrees warmer than up here so tap away and keep us posted. Keith

morningstarfarm
01-22-2012, 07:21 PM
evning all...well everything is ready..washed my tanks tonight..just have to do cleaning boil on pans in the next few days...been analyzing every weather forecast i can for next 2 weeks..weather looks perfect..not going to pass up 2 weeks of 40 and 25..so...I informed the wife and kids...ITS GO TIME!!!!...
am tapping in tomorrow...I know..I might regret it..but i have a gut feeling that the next few weeks might be it...hope i am wrong..but there it is..so putting everything in in the morning....wish you all luck..and am praying i am right lol...Bless...

morningstarfarm
01-23-2012, 04:21 PM
evnin all..so..I didnt manage to put everything in today as planned...got my sons school and ran the other half of their tubing..and tapped in 70 there..forgot just how long that takes at a school..ended teaching 4 classes and got out of there at 1:30..had about 6-7 gals in the tank when i left..ran home and picked up all my buckets and tapped in 60 in the town center and one culdesac...every tap ran berfore i could get the tap in...all that accounts for about 1/3 my taps..going to ride a day or two and see what happens...temp got up to 45 today..but was overcast and drizzly all day..well, they are in..time will tell if I'm an idiot or not...(no comments Brad..)

NH/Pete
01-24-2012, 07:05 AM
Are the trees at the school Sugars or Reds Chris?

Dill
01-24-2012, 08:25 AM
I assume its running hard this morning. Already 42 at 7.

red maples
01-24-2012, 07:39 PM
My wife saw you drive up the driveway and go into the sugarhouse, She yelled downstairs HEY THERE IS SOME GUY IN THE SUGARHOUSE>>>> I lokked out ands saw you drive off I said don't worry its only chris!!! I said Crazy SOB is already tapping!!! no not really really just kidding!!! You should have got some sap today boy!!! hit 50* here so it must have been 55* or so down there. My bees were out all over place and cleaning out the hive of dead bees and stuff!!! they are wintering well with this easy winter. I didn't even bother wrapping the hive its still a very big cluster!!!

Dill, you guys going to the meeting on Saturday?

Dill
01-24-2012, 08:10 PM
I won't be, not sure about Josh. We are headed out to Bellows Falls, if you need a lift. Stopping at Bascoms on the way as well.

morningstarfarm
01-24-2012, 10:17 PM
evning all...what a day...sap tsunami for first day..have about 130 gallons in my tank..tests at just about 3 percent..did cleaning boil tonight..and cleaned tanks..tomorrow will pressure wash pans and ....I cant believe it..but i am going to boil..

red maples
01-25-2012, 06:38 AM
Wow...you should eb getting some sap these next several days at least until sunday/ monday anyway!!! I am holding out and just keeping as eye on the forecast which is pretty favorable for vacuum upper 30's by me and sunny pretty much for the next 10 days ..but I am not ready anyway. will hopefully be 100% ready to go by the end of the week monday or tuesday at the latest!!! just watching.

If your boiling tomorrow I might come down for a few minutes pending my wife gets home at a decient hour from work.

morningstarfarm
01-25-2012, 09:17 PM
evning all..just back in from collecting..not so good today..sun never really broke free and didnt get cold enough last night here..ended up with about 30 gals tonight...didnt test it..thinking that i will probably have enough to sweeten pans fri night...cant boil tomorrow night..kids and i have karate...door is going to be open if anyone needs a steam fix to get you through...byob though....night all

morningstarfarm
01-26-2012, 10:38 PM
evning all..just got in from the shack...everything looking good for sweetening tomorrow night..sap ran nicely today considering that it never got below 30 last night..still eeked out 40 gals...dropped in another 50 taps today..all huge roadside trees...sap was flowing nicely...got about a gal from each tree in the 3 hours after i tapped till dark..will see how they do tomorrow..right now i have around 150 gals...should sweeten and have a first drawoff..mmmm cant wait...lost a bit to a leaking valve..was not happy to find that.
Pete, the trees i have tapped are all sugars...you know the ones by the house..have one big red in the yard tapped ..just to look nice really..have agotten about a quart a day per tap so far from it..Heard you got woodson farm tied up for tapping...congrats..you beat me to it lol...
so far the buckets have out done the tubing(gravity) 10-1 ... the more i use the sacks the more i am liking them...just finished making another 150 holders..bags should be here tomorrow night...and will assemble them..tapping 50 more in on monday at the school..the kids cant wait lol...nice deal..they collect the sap...i take it home to boil..and then end of the season i boil there for them...last year i sold 12 gallons there while i boiled...
ok..time to get a bit of sleep...tomorrow is going to be a long night..door is always open at the shack..if anyone wants to stop in tomorrow night...

eustis22
01-27-2012, 09:35 AM
Hi, chris...my name is Ric and I live in Haverhill, actually on the other side of Corliss Hill Rd from you. I'd love to drop by and see your setup. my email is eustis22@yahoo.com

NH/Pete
01-27-2012, 11:43 AM
The sap just pours out of those trees around your house Chris. I think it was around April 6th that I pulled those taps.
They ran great til the 4th.

Sorry to say I'm not the one with permission over at Woodsom Farm. Nice bunch of trees over there.

morningstarfarm
01-28-2012, 02:20 PM
hey all...well, it has officially begun..sweetened pans last night..had a couple minor challenges to address but its all good...boiledeverything we had and ended with the syrup pan at 60 brix...had a blast..nice to smell the steam again...now, we will see if it keeps running and we can make some syrup tonight...good luck all...peace

SandMan
01-28-2012, 05:34 PM
I would make sure I did not have sap in my pans when it freezes up solid in February (week 2)!

morningstarfarm
01-29-2012, 06:21 PM
well, its been a tough couple days with the sap run here..has been 48-55 each day..but only in the low 30's at night...need a few days of a hard freeze...next week looking much better with highs in the mid 30s and lows in the teens..looking forward to that...have about 80 gals right now to boil..hoping for more to make it worth while to fire up the arch tomorrow night...on the plus side..the sap so far has all been over 3%...

morningstarfarm
01-29-2012, 06:22 PM
oh and i put a small ceramic heater in the firebox when it gets really cold...works well..keeps sap around 36 degrees..so no freezing..

morningstarfarm
01-29-2012, 06:23 PM
hey ric..welcome to the addiction...fel free to give me a call...603-479-0804...will be boiling tomorrow night most likely...you are welcome to drop by if you would like..

SSFLLC
01-29-2012, 06:56 PM
Hi Chris, Ise we have something in common. My brother inlaw Gary is dating the chick across the road from you. Hows the new hood working out for you? Keith

morningstarfarm
01-29-2012, 07:24 PM
it is a seriously small world... like gary though..seems like a good guy..The hood is working very nicely...its the 4th generation i tried and think i may just have gotten it right finally...

SSFLLC
01-29-2012, 07:30 PM
Is the hood tight to the pan or is it like Brads where you need a fan in it?

morningstarfarm
01-29-2012, 08:14 PM
the hood is 18" above the pans..my shack is not a peaked roof so i need to control the steam...has a 1250 cfm vent fan in it.. controls the steam from my 2x6 with no problem..and the jet into the sky is pretty impressive if i do say so lol..

eustis22
01-30-2012, 07:24 AM
Hi, chris...thanks for the welcome....it looks like my night will be quiet and I'll be free so I will give you a call after 5.

We lined the box with arch board and firebrick yesterday and got the stovepipe mounted...my only concern now is that I've left too much arch board exposed to flame. What does "sweeten the pans" mean?

morningstarfarm
01-30-2012, 12:21 PM
will definitely be boiling tonight..givew me a call as to time...will happily answer whatever questions i can for you while we are boiling..

morningstarfarm
01-30-2012, 04:33 PM
ok..sap finally ran well today..need mors cold nights..next couple days look awesome..have around 175 gals to boil tonight..should finish sweetening and make a few gals..well off to boil..good luck all..

morningstarfarm
01-31-2012, 08:44 PM
evning all..boiled all night last night..finished sweetening the pans and then ended up with about 3.5 gals of syrup...interesting that it is really dark..usually the first batches have been fairly light...good flavor though.. will have to visit brad and highjack his grading set..i forgot to get one on the annual bascoms trip...collected another 80 gallons today..and it is looking very promising for the rest of the week..with a hard freeze for a couple days over the weekend..and warming up next week...all in all its looking good... good luck all...

NH/Pete
01-31-2012, 08:50 PM
Is the volume of sap up any on the Red Maple Chris?

morningstarfarm
01-31-2012, 09:15 PM
havent had much run rom those reds yet..but they can be very finicky...though when they do let go...it flows very well...

red maples
02-01-2012, 07:33 AM
You can have my 2011 kit. I get a new kit every year. It common for the begining syrup to be dark then lighten up a little later. the other factor is that there really haven't been any really cold nights since you started tapping get a few days in row of 20's/ 40's and you will be back to lighter syrup!!!

You can also check out my hood!!! I went all in with the aluminum!!! looks pretty good I have to finish putting in the stack then test boil. I went with a much smaller fan than you did 500cfm. but we'll see if it doesn't work then I will just redesign and put in another fan side by side. I am also taking your DARK under the hood issue and adding in a high heat rated sealed enclosed hood light to brighten things up under there!!!(same as the ones in comercial restaurant hoods)

WHTTLHNTR
02-01-2012, 09:52 AM
Taking the plunge and going to tap. I am not sure how I feel about this early of a season. By what I am reading sounds like the sap is flowing. Put some test buckets out and they are filling up so off I go. Dont even have fire brick in the new evap. yet. Here is to an early season, and hopefully a good one.

red maples
02-02-2012, 02:00 PM
Glad you got the kit...sorry just have a minute. I did get your message. My hood project is a bust... fan is just not strong enough. I am gonna take it down and continue when I have more time and money. (who knows when tha might be) . I have to get things finished up I might start tapping monday morning 10 day forecast looks great and I am simply tired of watching all this good sap weather we have just pass by. the way the winds are globally looks like we will never get a winter!!!!!

Alrighty off to get my daughter from school.

eustis22
02-02-2012, 03:47 PM
I also decided to stop waiting and dropped all the taps I have pending new tubing. I hope to be testing the stove Sunday pregame.

morningstarfarm
02-02-2012, 11:10 PM
Brad, dont tear it out..I will have time tomorrow afternoon...lets look at it ..I have another blower that i bought and never used..

morningstarfarm
02-02-2012, 11:16 PM
all right..time to bring things up to date..The last week has been amazing..right now..I have 400 gals of 3% sap..every day has been a tsunami..have already made almost 10 gals of syrup..will be burning all weekend I think just trying to get caught up with what i have now...hoping for a mediocre run for the next few days..lol but its not looking good for a break...door will be open all weekend... so stop in if you are in the neighborhood..

SSFLLC
02-03-2012, 06:14 AM
Sounds like your doing good Chris. I see Brad is going all in to. We wish the both of you the best of boiling. Keith & Michelle

eustis22
02-03-2012, 02:49 PM
Excellent, Chris...I have to work tonight but we will be dropping by tomorrow afternoon for a gander.

morningstarfarm
02-04-2012, 05:23 PM
evning all...well just broke the 20 gal mark for the season..no grade yet..have to finish it all tomorrow..running low on wood th0ough..who woulda thunk it..
still boiling out there..trusted it to my oldest son..needed a break...sap ran well today..still at 3%...good luck tomorrow tapping brad..peace all...need food..

red maples
02-10-2012, 06:34 AM
You must have drowned in sap brother where have you been!!! have heard from you since monday!!!

morningstarfarm
02-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Hey all...what a season so far...should break 40 gals tonight...have 375 gals of 3.2% to boil tonight..looks like yet another late night...

sugaringman85
02-10-2012, 05:59 PM
Man i wish my sap was 3.2%. off 1350 taps a full day of running and only got about 100 gallons and it tested at 1.8. Not even gonna bother gathering it, was gonna dump it but then gave it to a girl just starting out for her senior project in highschool. Least Im all set up for when it really wants to run.

morningstarfarm
02-21-2012, 12:13 AM
hey all..sorry to vanish.but have been burried for a couple weeks boiling..just passed the 70 gallon mark..better than the whole season last year...Have been avaraging 4-5 gals a night..figuring 2 weeks left and i am pulling taps..hard to believe..but i am out of wood lol...planning to spend some time visiting some of you guys here..learning new equipment and larger techniques...looking to expand for next year..has been a great season so far..never thought it would.considering i tapped in on 1/21..good luck all...may your trees runnith over..bless

red maples
02-21-2012, 08:40 AM
Geez man!!! 70 Gals man....my trees still haven't broken loose. my best run so far had been 230 gallons and that took 2 days to get!!! my best single day run has been 140 gallons. You and your sweet warm trees!!! pffft!!! Surprising what a few miles can do for micro climates huh!!! We can make candy when ever you want. its all based on Sap now!!! I am hoping these next few days things really get going!!!

morningstarfarm
03-09-2012, 12:31 PM
Hey all..have been up to my eyeballs for the whole season..have to say that the gamble paid off in spades..this has been the best season in the last 5 years...total is pushing close to the never dreamed of 100 gallon mark..mostly med and dark..only about 10 gals of b..and 2-3 of fancy..but no complaints considering it is all on gravity...
Pulled all my taps yesterday..trees are starting to shut down here...or at leAst the holes I drilled back in the middle of Jan. The other factor is I am. Almost totally out of wood...9 cords is enough for me...after this last 350 gallons I am boiling it is time for the horses and to start planning the expansion for next season...
I wish everyone a banner year...hope the weather holds out better than it looks here...

red maples
03-09-2012, 05:12 PM
nice total!!! It was a gamble but it did pay off HUGE!!!

Wish I could say that...looks like the season here will be done by monday or tuesday see when the sap stops flowing!!! and if there happens to be a slight chance of a freeze on those 36* night forcaasted we'll I guess!!!

Hope you had a good time with kids!!! last week. (and they enjoyed the candy!!! )

morningstarfarm
04-09-2012, 04:39 PM
hey all...usually I close this out at the end of the season...but this year is going to be a little different...

we are in the beginning stages of a major expansion here..first..new sugar house...or to be exact..taking over the big barn...theold sugar shack will become the new wood shed...that is going to be a long project and will update through the summer...

in the sugar bush...last year we had about 400 taps..on gravity or buckets/ bags...
In the last 2 weeks i have locked up 2 new sugarbushes...
the one adjoining our farm looks to up our tap count to roughly 1000-1200..and will also give me around 250 gray birches to tap...
so running all new tubing on vacuum that will dump about 150' from the shack...yay..no more chasing buckets all over town...well..for the most part anyways...
the second bush is about 5 miles from us..looks to be about 350-500 taps...will be on vacuum as well...
looks like it is going to be a long spring and early summer running tubing...

in the3 sugar shack..a new evap is in the works...hoping for a 2x8 or 2.5x10 super flu setup...that is the ideal..however, one never knows when a deal you just cant refuse pops up....

we are also shopping for a ro machine...again..budget...will have to se what we find and can afford...

well, enough for now..this should be a fun and busy off season..i would love to be able to open the doors to the public right after thanksgiving...

bless all...

Amber Gold
04-10-2012, 07:09 AM
Pretty cool Chris. Good luck and have fun.

morningstarfarm
04-16-2012, 07:00 PM
its amazing how a few day can change things..have been out marking trees every spare moment for the last week...the piece adjacent to my farm has around 2000 taps...the other piece that i thought had 350 or so has around 1200...with my buckets in town that will put me at around 3700...thinking that a 2.5x10 may be too small...new thought is for a 3x12. time will tell...

scored today on a 17cfm vacuum pump...its a welch duoseal 1397...paid 75 bucks for the **** thing...guy was going to scrap it...belonged to a company that went out of business...

second pump is a surge bb2...runs very nicely...

now working on getting wire run for the mainlines...only 7500 feet of pipe to run still lol and i dont even want to think of what is going to go into the laterals...

until next time...bless

morningstarfarm
08-12-2012, 10:13 PM
summer is in full swing...first crop of hay in and getting ready for the second crop...have been working every spare moment in the new shack...got a deal on a new evap i couldn't walk away from..its bigger that i had wanted but will give me room to grow into...she's a 5x12 grim raised flu...is set up for wood, but i am in the process of changing her over to oil..I wont have time to cut and split enough to feed her. also got a 7" full bank aluminum filter press...am now bringing myself up to speed on how to use it...the sugar shack is starting to take shape..walls are mostly up and framed..going next week for a horse show so the sheetrock will have to wait until i return...I have given myself a soft finish date of 9/15 to get the shack buttoned up...and at least functional...then it's back into the woods to tension all the lines and start running lats and putting in drops...alot to get done for my goal of opening the doors thanksgiving weekend ...Will keep everyone aprised of the progress and IF I make it everyone is invited for the opening...

I hope everyone enjoys their summer...
peace
Chris