PDA

View Full Version : Question For the Sap Gurus

Tapping Wolf
01-08-2012, 05:05 PM
Looking for some knowledge....in general will a larger tree yeild more sap than a smaller one....what I mean is if you put just one tap in a suagr maple 60 inches in dia. and one in one that is just 10 inches...will the bigger tree (all else being equal) generally produce more sap? obviously every tree is different but just want your thougts on the matter...

Ausable
01-08-2012, 05:39 PM
Howdy Tapping Wolf - I shouldn't answer this - as -lol- no one will agree with my answer. I was taught a whole lot of stuff by a whole lot of people about tapping and I'm still learning. I find that early in the season - a tree out in the Sun will do better then one in the shade of other trees. Tap the South side - if possible. Stay above or below and off to the side of an old tapping hole or scar. Tap over a trunk root or under where a limb branches from the tree. I don't believe tree size has much effect - EXCEPT - in larger diameter trees - you might me able to place two of three spiles and that would give you more sap. Then there is how deep do ya bore a tapping hole and don't set your spile to tight or ya split the bark and waste sap -------etc. etc....Oh yes - always look up and check the tree top prior drilling a hole in a new tree - embarasing to tap an Eastern Hemlock and we won't talk about hemlock sap ------lol--------Mike----

Thompson's Tree Farm
01-08-2012, 05:46 PM
In general, yes. Think of the tree as a reservoir of carbohydrates that is recharged each time it freezes. A larger trunk has more sugar stored and as it thaws, more sap is pushing down the trunk trying to get out.

Looking for some knowledge....in general will a larger tree yeild more sap than a smaller one....what I mean is if you put just one tap in a suagr maple 60 inches in dia. and one in one that is just 10 inches...will the bigger tree (all else being equal) generally produce more sap? obviously every tree is different but just want your thougts on the matter...

Sugarmaker
01-13-2012, 08:31 PM
I have never tried just one tap in a huge maple. But I have seen some 15 inch hard maples outproduce 30 inch hard maples 20 feet away.
Lots of factors.
Tap some with buckets for about 30 years and then you will have the answer:) My answer is they are just about like cows, there are some real good young ones, some real good old ones and some that will just never be good producers.
Regards,
Chris

Rossell's Sugar Camp
01-13-2012, 08:37 PM
Hemlock? Sounds like something i would do:lol:

Grand Square Acres
01-15-2012, 01:09 PM
hemlock:confused: Now you have to tell the rest of the story.

Bucket Head
01-15-2012, 11:32 PM
Also, consider the amount of leaves the tree has when it has leaves on it. More leaves equalls more sugar content in the sap. Thats why trees in the woods that grow in competition with others, that have small leaf canopies, have 1-2% sugar and the large, hedge row, roadside, front yard- type trees have 3% or more. So the bigger the tree, the more sap it holds- and the larger the leaf canopy, the sweeter the sap.

Steve