PDA

View Full Version : Attention Anyone With Ball Valves!!

Jec
01-08-2012, 12:24 PM
Apparently water (or sap) can get stuck in the ball of a ball valve and freeze. I didn't realize this so I losed 3 ball valves. So if any of you did a test boil and didn't drain where the valves are, they might be cracked.
Joey

GramaCindy
01-08-2012, 03:55 PM
I too did a test boil and found water in the non draw off valve some weeks later…not sure if it's cracked or not, looks good, I thawed it out by pouring a gallon of hot water slowly through. Leave them 1/2 open (per HAYNES) so as not to keep any "gunk in it. They apparently can hold in the open position some sap or syrup or just plain gunk in the fully opened position.

Thanks for posting this Jec. Needs to be brought to the attention of us newbies.

rookie
01-08-2012, 04:20 PM
A good tip that everyone should be aware of, I didn't know. Now I do, thanks

GramaCindy
01-08-2012, 04:27 PM
that's what we need Rookie, people to be "aware"

Flat47
01-08-2012, 05:16 PM
Been there...

Got to leave them half open through the winter.

Amber Gold
01-08-2012, 05:40 PM
If using PVC valves, a good trick is to drill a small dia. hole in the side of the valve when the valve is closed. Install the valve on it's side, drilled hole side down, and the ball will drain out. Need to be very careful and use a sharp drill bit because these can leak if not done properly.

smokeyamber
01-17-2012, 10:51 AM
So my brass valves can freeze ? Just have one on the drawoff, is it ok ? Re-thinking the plumbing from my new 200 gallon storage based on this, may just go with an old fashioned siphon setup... easy to drain :D

markct
01-17-2012, 11:11 AM
they are fine as long as you leave them with no liquid in the ball, or liquid that is enough sugar that it wont freeze hard, i always make sure the sap tank ones are empty, ie take the hose off before you close the valve