PDA

View Full Version : This weather is nuts in Kingston Ontario

hicks road
01-08-2012, 07:26 AM
Un seasonably warm weather here yesterday was up to +5, we got all of our sap buckets and bulk tanks cleaned up and ready to go. I hope this weather doesn't mess with our sugaring season to much or we will have waisted alot of time building a sugar shack and purchanging a new evaporator. Anybody have any idea how much the snow fall and winter temps play a role in the sap runs. Looking at the long range forcast night time lows of - 5 and daytime highs of +3 or 4 maybe should start tapping hahahahahaha.

Bruce L
01-08-2012, 08:46 AM
40 miles north of you and couldn't agree more.Figure winter will hit when we should be tapping,up to our crotches in snow,and will probably hold on until late March to make for a short season,but i sure hope not,this is worst case scenario!!!!!!

Dill
01-08-2012, 12:38 PM
The big question is, will winter come or has it already? We are getting the same cycle here, and the sap is running.

GramaCindy
01-08-2012, 04:18 PM
Un seasonably warm weather here yesterday was up to +5, we got all of our sap buckets and bulk tanks cleaned up and ready to go. I hope this weather doesn't mess with our sugaring season to much or we will have waisted alot of time building a sugar shack and purchanging a new evaporator. Anybody have any idea how much the snow fall and winter temps play a role in the sap runs. Looking at the long range forcast night time lows of - 5 and daytime highs of +3 or 4 maybe should start tapping hahahahahaha.

Whoah, Hicks……you never waste time building a sugar shack or buying a new evaporator, just might get more use out of it in the coming years. I truely believe that winter is just delayed. May be a short winter, but it will come!

Yellzee
01-20-2012, 12:17 PM
same fears in Belleville area,,, my neighbors soft maples almost look like the buds are starting to change a bit on his trees.

it's got to be awful hard on the trees

Dave Y
01-20-2012, 02:56 PM
Slow down guys! Spring comes once a year, and this ain't it!

PATheron
01-20-2012, 06:30 PM
Dave Y- 2200 BUCKETS,,,, HOLY CRAPNUGGETS!!!!!!!! Your my absolute hero now Dave. You pretty much were before but now you definitely are! Theron

Dave Y
01-20-2012, 07:26 PM
we may add another 300 this year. but dont hold me in too high esteem I dont empty them I just hang em and pay boys with more muscle than brains to empty them.

PATheron
01-20-2012, 08:49 PM
Whatever, thats a lot of good sap. Theron