PDA

View Full Version : Warm temps in Connecticut

delta757and767pilot
01-05-2012, 04:27 PM
It was in the high 40's and sometimes 50's the past 2-3 weeks and the sap has been running. The upcoming wee again has perfect temperatures and some of the flowers and trees were starting to bud already!! What would you guys do in this situation? tap??? wait?

mzstein
01-05-2012, 06:47 PM
We've got the same situation here in Michigan ; more like
early March temps . I didn't know if there was a precedent
for this situation ?? I'm also not even close to being ready,
thought I had another month .

Greenwich Maple Man
01-05-2012, 08:54 PM
I have spoken with a couple of very large producers in passing in the past few days. Nobody seems to be giving the mild weather much thought. Bascoms don't plan to start tapping until the first of Feb. plus it takes them a while to get everything tapped. Winter has just started!!!!!

stoweski
01-06-2012, 05:43 AM
I have spoken with a couple of very large producers in passing in the past few days. Nobody seems to be giving the mild weather much thought. Bascoms don't plan to start tapping until the first of Feb. plus it takes them a while to get everything tapped. Winter has just started!!!!!

Agreed. Winter isn't upon us yet. As a matter of fact I'm willing to bet that we in the Capital District (including Greenwich of course) will see winter last into April... Easter eggs will be a b__ch to find this year buried in the snow!

Winter isn't gone, it's just delayed.

MaplePancakeMan
01-06-2012, 09:31 AM
I'm across the way in NY . If you're ready to tap, I'd go a head and test a few out. If they run great and you can make all your syrup before it gets really cold and snowy i'd be all over it. I'm waiting on a float box repair or else id tap. Because this is likely whats going to happen.

Currently we are in almost ideal tapping weather.

Late JAN-MID Feb will roll around and somewhere in there It will get cold but sap will snow, It will then freeze deep and then when March Comes it will sky rocket temps. Its how the pattern is shaping up. I think a lot of people will miss a season because of this fickle weather pattern.

trea_bagger
01-07-2012, 10:45 AM
Same here in NY, will these unseasonaly warm temps, effect sap production/ flow, when its time to tap?

killingworthmaple
01-07-2012, 02:56 PM
60 degrees in CT today can you believe it???

Jec
01-07-2012, 09:11 PM
No I'm mad

delta757and767pilot
01-07-2012, 10:22 PM
This is really bad

DrTimPerkins
01-08-2012, 09:30 AM
This is really bad

No, this is a January thaw. Happens EVERY year.

themapleking
01-08-2012, 12:29 PM
We had this weather 2yrs ago remember. The season was a fast one in early March. And most everyone had very low production. Now is the time to get everything ready. Cold weather & snow will come come Mid Jan & Feb. When you See a Break in temps in Mid Feb start tapping. The season might be only 2-3 weeks this yr.

Greenwich Maple Man
01-08-2012, 03:48 PM
No, this is a January thaw. Happens EVERY year.

Like Doctor Tim says, it happens every year ! I don't understand why everybody is off and running with this "theory" that this is it for winter? That dosn't happen every year nor can I ever remember it happening. I have lived in the same area all my life and haven't seen it happen yet. Patience is the key. Sugaring will come same as it always does at around the same time it always does.

GramaCindy
01-08-2012, 04:16 PM
Like Doctor Tim says, it happens every year ! I don't understand why everybody is off and running with this "theory" that this is it for winter? That dosn't happen every year nor can I ever remember it happening. I have lived in the same area all my life and haven't seen it happen yet. Patience is the key. Sugaring will come same as it always does at around the same time it always does.

Amen Greenwich Maple Man and Dr. Tim…..for me, I am going to keep thinking it's just the WONDERFUL January thaw. Come Groundhog day, we will all be wondering when spring is ever going to get here. I HOPE!