PDA

View Full Version : The Ludlow report

powerdub
03-04-2006, 07:39 PM
Put in about 500 today. Some were actually running to my disbelief, the wind was up so wasn't the sun. Great day in the woods. I hope to be done by Monday.

maplwrks
03-05-2006, 07:14 PM
Way to go Scott!!!
When you get done, skip up to Orwell and finish mine!!! I HATE TAPPING!!!

powerdub
03-05-2006, 08:48 PM
Another 500 or so this afternoon. Good thing I had help today, found a section of mainline that was ruined by a fallen pine. Took over an hour to repair, oh well, got a start on it anyway.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-05-2006, 09:02 PM
Scott,

When you get time, post the link for the Syrofilter and how do you like it??

powerdub
03-07-2006, 09:36 PM
Brandon, Here is the link http://www.equipementslapierre.com/english/Catalogue/Fram_Cat.htm

I really like the filter, it works great. It uses a felt style filter instead of papers like a press and it only takes two minutes to change. That is fast when you are behind. Easy to clean too.
[/url]

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-07-2006, 10:15 PM
Scott,

Looks good and I may have to keep it in mind for the future!

Thanks! :D

powerdub
03-09-2006, 08:48 PM
Well, I took the day from work today to get everything ready and ended up running the roads half the day getting parts and stuff. The more I touch the more falls apart. When I left tonight I forgot something and went back in, flipped the switch and none of the lights came on. Perfect end to a perfect day I would say. It wasn't a total loss, my vacuum pump water cooler works great. Someday I will learn how get some pics up on yahoo or something so you can check it out. What a rube job 8) . I have a feeling in the next day or two it is going to let loose for us. Good luck and I will keep you posted.

Parker
03-10-2006, 04:43 AM
Looks like we are going to get some decent weather,,but then an extended warm spell,,,I know what you mean sometimes seems like 1 step forward,,2 steps back,,GOOD LUCK,,if you get some time pick up Marty and come visit,,,

Al
03-10-2006, 04:12 PM
Know what you mean. I have to run down town tomorrow for some fittings. Just when I thought I was done. I believe about the time I get this hobby done pat I'll be history! :lol: :lol:
Take care!

Mike
03-10-2006, 04:57 PM
Al, Look at the good side of it....If you get out of sugaring you'll be able to open up a plumbing supply shop..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

mapleman3
03-10-2006, 07:20 PM
now I don't care who you are .. that there is funny... Git R Done !!!! :D :lol: :wink: 8)

powerdub
03-12-2006, 09:28 PM
Finally got to see see some steam this weekend. We had a couple of more set backs but overcame them. We got a small run on Saturday and another on Sunday. So far we have made 21 gallons of fancy.

powerdub
03-13-2006, 06:58 PM
Another day, another trickle. I figure I had about a thousand gallons of sap today. We are at 30 gallons of fancy so far. I got the new flow meter for the RO I needed today and put that in. No more guessing on flows now. I ended up buying two so I have a spare, that's right a spare. Why didn't I think of that before it broke? :?

Russell Lampron
03-14-2006, 05:50 AM
Having a spare of anything is always a way to have good luck. I always carry a spare tapping bit in my pocket so that I won't break one and have to run to the supply house to get another in the middle of tapping.

Russ

powerdub
03-14-2006, 11:31 AM
I learned that lesson years ago but I carry four of those. This year we only broke two. Good thing was that it wasn't me this time that broke them.

powerdub
03-15-2006, 01:21 PM
Boiled again last night. Sap is clear as glass but no sugar in it. It is running about 1.5%. Made 10 gallons of fancy. Thank God for the RO machine!!

Russell Lampron
03-15-2006, 05:52 PM
Amen to the Vacuum pumps and RO machines.

Russ

powerdub
03-24-2006, 08:50 PM
Made 40 gallons over the last two days. Most of it was A medium but the last 3 gallons were fancy. I will check in later, I got to get to ebay and put some bids out there.

powerdub
03-25-2006, 08:59 PM
Not a bad run today, made 40 gallons of fancy. The sugar is still running in the 1.5% range coming in. On another note I got go to seven other operations today, some of which I have not been to in the past. Gotta love the open house weekend.

Al
03-26-2006, 06:05 AM
We did the same thing yesterday. My sugar content has been around 2.2% the last two days. Of course this is in a bucket with a hydrometer. Don't have one of those fancy things yet. Saw alot of nice places. Stood at one evaporator and they pulled off more in 20 minutes then I make all year. They don't have all the fun thou!!!! :D
Glad to hear your still doing well. My Aunt and Uncle are from Ludlow/Mt. Holly area. They live in Fl. now but he loves to hear your reports.
Thanks for taking the time.
Take care

powerdub
03-26-2006, 08:28 AM
Thanks Al, I will keep plugging away at it. One of the stops I made yesterday was a large outfit as well. He was making 50 gallons an hour. It is fun to see those rigs run.

powerdub
03-30-2006, 01:12 PM
The sap is slowly turning to crap here. The sugar is down to 1.2% but we are making dark A still. Tonight might ba a different story. We are up tp 172 gallons so far and we will boil until the leaves are out. Well, maybe not that long. Everything has been going well so far except for some of those blue lamb fittings I still have in the woods. They have been breaking left and right. I am going to take an inventory of those this summer and replace them all. We are trying a new pan cleaning method using the permeate from the RO. It is working really well and we don't even need to take the pan off the arch. Well people, gotta go.

powerdub
04-06-2006, 08:34 PM
Done. Sap is still running good but the quality is gone. Bad year here. second worse on record. Better luck next year. Time to get the camper out and get out and have some fun.

Parker
04-06-2006, 10:21 PM
how much did you wind up with?? are people around you still going?