PDA

View Full Version : Tyalor 450 outdoor boiler

Mike in NY
01-03-2012, 05:59 PM
Have one we shall replace this spring,has external water leaks. Has anyone tried converting one into an arch? Gives you an airtight firebox that would take a 36 inch stick, a 30 inch wide set of pans and up to a 30 inch high firebox. My plan was to fill the water jacket with sand and then replace the existing insulation and exterior stainless steel shell. With a firebox that size and a blower on the air supply I think I could build a 30" by 12 ft evaporator to replace my old 2x6 that can't keep up with where we are going. Any thoughts?

01-03-2012, 06:23 PM
Sounds like a great idea but those leaks probably be fixed you know.

Mike in NY
01-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Sounds like a great idea but those leaks probably be fixed you know.If you are suggesting to repair the stove(?) I put new tubes in it 10 yrs ago. Yes I think I could repair the external leaks but it is a 22 yr old stove, so what goes bad next? at age 45 if I get 22 yrs out of the next stove at that point I won't be wanting to handle any sticks of wood larger than what we chuck in the evaporator
;)

sugar ED
01-12-2012, 10:46 PM
hi Mike ,sounds like a great idea ,sand (in water jacket)and if possible line the inside with fire brick .I made my arch out of an old wood/oil furnace ,removed gun burner.Cut rounded top off firebox , flipped it over and added to the rear to make 7ft long to fit my 4x2 rear pan and 2x3 div.syrup pan ....I put sand in the rear (slope)under the fire brick, as the 1/4 steel (rear slope) was getting red hot after about 2 hours into it.. now I can almost touch it and the fire brick are red hot .only trouble is it takes about 4 to 6 hours to cool off or about 150 gals sap.... found that out the hard way,lol the syrup pan was filled with the thick as tar, almost candy ,the next morning (the firebrick saves alot or wood ) good luck ! I'm really starting to wonder about this weather ???? hope the trees arn't as confussed as old man winter !!!

maple flats
01-13-2012, 05:08 AM
Several years ago I was a Taylor dealer until the time on the road wore me down. 22 yrs is slightly above average but not the record. My brother is still using his at 23 yrs, but has retubed 2x. The main thing is maintaining the water treatment and PH as well as a very good ground rod connection.
As for converting to an evaporator, great idea. If the cast in the door needs replacing, remove the door, lay it flat and remove all old. Then pour with a 3000 degree refractory. This is higher than original but you will be continually firing hotter than the original. That was 2000 degree in there.