PDA

View Full Version : Cabot, other side of town

wdchuck
03-04-2006, 07:26 PM
I did about 625 taps on Thursday- that's gotta be my personal best-our woods isn't exactly flat! Too cold on Friday, but with help from my pal Jeff, we got in maybe another 450 today. At this rate, I can finish in 2 more days!

wdchuck
03-06-2006, 07:40 PM
Would've finished today, but I had to exit the woods early to pick up my little boy. I'll do the last 50 tomorrow and then go install one of the vacuum setups.

wdchuck
03-07-2006, 06:21 PM
Finished up the tapping today except for 1 missing spout I found. No doubt a broken one from washing tubing. Installed one of the releasers and it's friend Mr 1500 gallon tank. I'll do the other set up tomorrow and then it's time to take care of all the stuff in the sugarhouse. Let the games begin!!

wdchuck
03-27-2006, 10:20 PM
I'm busy! Just got in from the sugarhouse a while ago- today we took care of 2000 gallons of sap and made just under 40 gallons of syrup. Lit the fire about 4 O'clock and walked away with everything cleaned and ready to go tomorrow at 10:30 P.M.. I'm cursing this years low sugar content, but then I remember that RO machine over in the corner is gonna save my butt and my woodpile!

Parker
03-28-2006, 05:06 AM
How much have you made this year? Do you have any snow on the ground up there?

wdchuck
03-28-2006, 07:53 AM
We're probably at about 1/4 a crop- only a wild guess as we've been canning and selling as we go and I'll add it all up later. The snow is practically gone- pockets in the woods, but very little. The ground seems to be frozen, so that keeps things cool in the woods. Drive up for a visit when you finish up- we'll still be going.

wdchuck
04-03-2006, 08:35 AM
Last Friday it was 72 degrees at our local hardware store at 2 pm and sap was still running strong- but it didnt last long after that- by 8 pm it was all done. Last night we had a good freeze, the vacuum pumps are on and it's starting to run. Temps look pretty good for the rest of this week!

wdchuck
04-10-2006, 08:37 AM
Things have been holding out strong! After the thaw, it's been cool actually- These last 3 days have been near perfect for good sap runs and that's what we've had.............A good finish to the season- the grade has been Dk amber- not too bad for April. I'm off to fire up a vacuum pump, hoping for another good day..........Sugar content has been less than impressive- We've been averaging 1.5% That RO machine looks like the best big amount of money I've ever spent!