PDA

View Full Version : Emerald ash borer and maple trees

Don(MI)
01-03-2012, 07:24 AM
Hoping somebody knows about this.

A good friend had someone in the tree removal buisness take down ash trees in his yard. While talking about what to replace the trees in the yard with, maple trees were mentioned. The fellow that downed the trees, said that there is speculation that the emerald ash borer could hit the maple trees next.

My question, is this possible?? Thanks, Don

DrTimPerkins
01-03-2012, 08:08 AM
EAB feeds almost exclusively on ash species. ALB is much less picky in terms of host tree species. Fortunately it is not widespread.

Don(MI)
01-03-2012, 08:23 AM
Thanks Doc.

I kinda figured that, but good to hear that. Thanks again.

buckeye gold
01-03-2012, 10:37 AM
In our part of Ohio EAB has taken it's toll. I have a solution, my evaporator wood this year is exclusively ash! After this spring I won't have more than 4 or 5 ash trees left. They make great boiling wood. May sound radical, but I'd just as soon get some good out of them before they're ruined and no borers leave my property in wood that way.

Dfrenzy
01-03-2012, 06:30 PM
I pick them out of my wood whike splitting as they make a good fish bait. I'm pretty busy in the summer so I always end up splitting wood the first week of december just in time for ice season.

Ausable
01-03-2012, 08:06 PM
Michigan has been hit very hard by the Emerald Ash Borer for the past several years. I lost several very nice ash and some Chinese elm to them and this year they pretty well wiped out the Ash I had left - Good Firewood - but would rather have the Ash trees. When the Ash tree is in real trouble the Pileated Woodpeckers really start working the bark over going after EAB larva and You will notice the leaves in real trouble. Next the bark starts falling off in sheets. You can see the EAB larva tracks all over the wood of the tree as the do their damage beteen the bark and the wood. So Far they have only been after the Ash and Chinese Elm --------and I thought the Gypsy Moths were bad...........

Don(MI)
01-03-2012, 08:09 PM
I agree Ausable.

We wont have any trouble with firewood for the next 5 years for makin syrup! A ton of dead ash out there right now, and will burn great too!

christopherh
01-04-2012, 10:04 AM
Same here in Northeast Ohio. I have a huge supply of dead Ash for firewood. There's probably half dozen that are still healthy on the 30 acres I tap. I wonder what part of the country this originated from.

maple flats
01-04-2012, 10:40 AM
I understand it originated in China, was sent to us in untreated pallets and landed in Michigan. From there it has spread quite rapidly. I think it is thought to have likely landed here in the late 80's or early 90's. It is not very mobile but movement of affected firewood hastens the spread.

ennismaple
01-04-2012, 11:35 AM
The city has cut down almost all the ash trees on our street in the last few months because of dieback caused by the ash borer. What looked like an established, 35-year old neighbourhood now looks like a new subdivision, except for a few maples that remain in the boulevards. It's quite sad to see.

Ausable
01-04-2012, 02:16 PM
Wikipedia (The Free Encyclopedia) Has a very good write up about the Emerald Ash Borer and some good pictures of the little monster ---Mike---

MISugarDaddy
01-09-2012, 02:11 PM
The EAB is very lazy and travels less than 3 miles per year. The main reason for its spreading across the midwest is from people transporting firewood that has been infected by it. If people would do as many of you have stated and dispose of infected trees on site rather than take it camping with them the problem would not have spread as it has done.