PDA

View Full Version : Pushing sap up to tank

Paul VT
01-02-2012, 07:17 PM
Has anyone ever tried putting pressure to a gathering tank to off load into a tank that is higher than the gathering tank? I am going to try this. i only need to lift it about 5ft. for me it would be much easier than using a pump. Put 5-10 pounds of pressure to the tank with the exit from the bottom. This way i won't have to babysit a pump. i can do other things i need to do. when its empty so the air compressor runs until i get to it.

wiam
01-03-2012, 09:53 AM
Depends what the tank is. Be careful when trying that and stand back. I have emptied 55 gal plastic drums that way when loading tires, but stayed under 15 psi.

1badsapper
01-03-2012, 05:58 PM
Don't do it, just sayin'

maple flats
01-13-2012, 12:17 PM
Be very careful contaminating the sap with oil or very nasty water. Most compressors emit a mist of very nasty, often oil bearing moisture. You don't want that in the sap.

Paul VT
01-13-2012, 03:48 PM
Yes i agree that would not be good. i have a oil water seperator for this and becuase i am only using a 1/2 inch hose out the CFM needed is low.
Thanks

Thad Blaisdell
01-13-2012, 04:16 PM
very creative but not the best system in the world. Tried and proven, use a sump pump. you must be close enough to power why risk the problems.

Teuchtar
01-14-2012, 10:48 AM
That would be my concern also. A tank thats not designed for pressure, just won't hold up. I'd be concerned that the tank sides would bow out, and the joints split apart. Even at low pressure like 10 psi, you would end up large forces. For example, a 16" diameter cover, with 10psi applied, would develop a force of 2000 lb. Will the cover support such a load ? The danger of compressed air (even at low pressure) is that once the joint splits (or cover blows off) there is stored energy that behaves like an explosion.

Sugarmaker
01-15-2012, 05:08 PM
Not a expert here but most sap tanks are not designed for pressure. Call your local tank/ pumping / vacuum experts!
Regards,
Chris

smokeyamber
01-17-2012, 11:29 AM
Whoa... go over to the Weldingweb forum and look up tank explosions... water does not compress as well as air, so you WILL blow something up. Plus I doubt the water will be forced anywhere. Sump pump with a float is the way to go.