PDA

View Full Version : Running Lines

afretired
01-02-2012, 06:47 PM
We are getting close, I've put up 1200 more feet of mainline this weekend and today I ran 48 laterals. If the weather continues like it is today, maybe I'll start tapping by the week end. Today, the snow was flying while I was running the lines, boy it sure beats the 100 degree weather we had this summer.:)

David

spud
01-02-2012, 10:41 PM
Hi Dave,

How many taps will you have this year? How many taps could you do ? You must be one of few in your area sugaring. Good luck to you this year.

Spud

afretired
01-03-2012, 11:14 AM
I will probably have around 250 taps this year with some sap sacks as well. I don't really know how many I could do, but with my limited help it would be difficult to run very many more. There are probably three or so in the county and one is a good friend who only does a few. I've heard there is another person doing several but that's about it.

David

spud
01-03-2012, 11:49 AM
I wish you the best. Until i started reading Trader i had no idea there were sugar maples in Kentucky.

Spud

afretired
01-08-2012, 07:53 PM
As of this evening I have lines run to 200 suagar maples, and have another mainline run through a draw of about 75 red maples to finish. If the weather agrees, I am planning on tapping about Wednesday.

David

afretired
01-10-2012, 08:58 PM
Well I've started, this evening I started tapping some of my trees, I got 92 tapped before the batteries on my drill ran out. It wasn't to bad out there in the dark though a little help would have been benificial. It was kinda akward holding a light while drilling, then hanging the drill on my belt and grabbing my hammer to set the taps in the tree. Sometimes I couldn't buy any help. Now when I get cooking there won't be room in the sugar shack for all the visitors. I think I'll get me one of those lights to go on my hat tomorrow, since I'll probably be out there in the dark again.

David

Rossell's Sugar Camp
01-10-2012, 09:10 PM
good luck. We are still to cold here. Whats the weather like down there? Is it looking good for sap flow?

afretired
01-11-2012, 07:12 AM
We've been to warm most of the time, but the next week is looking more favorable with freezing nights and the days warming into the 40 degree range. Before work this morning I made a trip to Walmart and got me a light to go on my hat so I'll be ready this evening if the rain stops.

David

SevenCreeksSap
01-11-2012, 05:21 PM
Well I've started, this evening I started tapping some of my trees, I got 92 tapped before the batteries on my drill ran out. It wasn't to bad out there in the dark though a little help would have been benificial. It was kinda akward holding a light while drilling, then hanging the drill on my belt and grabbing my hammer to set the taps in the tree. Sometimes I couldn't buy any help. Now when I get cooking there won't be room in the sugar shack for all the visitors. I think I'll get me one of those lights to go on my hat tomorrow, since I'll probably be out there in the dark again.

David

Henny Penny making bread. They'll be there when you draw off I bet with their own bottle.

afretired
01-11-2012, 09:39 PM
Tonight I got another 110 trees tapped, even though it was raining a little. With no moon and black as pitch out there it was hard to get around to all the trees. It was my woods that I've been all through for years but out there in total darkness following the mainline around and out each lateral to tap the trees was difficult. It is amazing at how everything changes when you can't see, but my headlight worked good. So that puts me at a little over 200 taps. I stll have another bunch of woods to tap, I've already got the mainline up and most of the laterals. It will probably be around another 75 trees if I need them.

David

Goggleeye
01-20-2012, 12:18 PM
I thought I was the only nut-case in the woods putting up line by the light of a head lamp. It gets really hard to find previous years scars when working under those conditions. What makes it even more fun in the dark is working around all tree tops from loggers, and the dead-fall from 2 small twisters that got us last year and that inland hurricane (we had about 25 - 30 minutes of sustained 70-100 mph winds) that dead-centered us 3 years ago. Amazingly, the maples weathered the storms better than most of the trees.

afretired
01-20-2012, 09:07 PM
I've since had to go during the day light to tap the one's that I had missed in the dark. Now I'm running the sap tanks in the dark. Working all day long and sugaring in the night makes for a long day. But I still look forward to it.

David

Goggleeye
01-21-2012, 04:26 PM
I know what you mean about finding those you missed. Last year when I was taking down my lines, I found several drops and short laterals that went to trees that weren't even tapped. Looks like we're getting ready to have a big sap, and wouldn't you know it, I screwed my back up this morning lifting something. I felt the disc slip, and I can barely walk. Chiropractor was willing to see me today (she's a big fan of our syrup) and she said I should be able to be going again at a slow pace in about three weeks. I hope the wife can manage till then.

Mark

afretired
01-21-2012, 08:14 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your back, three weeks is a real killer. When does your flow start, will it hold off that long? Today we cooked and I ended up with about 2 1/2 gallons, not as much as I was hoping for. Maybe in a few days we'll have a big sap flow. This weather we have been having is all messed up, I don't know if we'll even have a winter this year.

David

Goggleeye
01-22-2012, 02:56 PM
Flow has already started here. I've got about 2-3 gallons of syrup, and the evap is sweet, waiting for more sap. (The wife finished the boil, and my brother is cutting my firewood for house and cooker. I've been blessed with an awesomely supportive family). I'd imagine the sap is pouring out today. I've been getting around a bit better today, so hopefully tomorrow I can coach the wife and kids through the collection process. This weather has been very odd. Right now, I'll be happy with enough syrup for ourselves and family.

Mark