PDA

View Full Version : used tubing lot value?

John Burton
03-04-2006, 05:37 PM
I am considering buing out another sugarmakers small tubing lot of 150 taps in place. this lot to the best of my knowlege is around 5 to 8 years old/ what are your thoughts to calculate its value?

Parker
03-04-2006, 07:04 PM
Are you talking about taking over a system that some one has abandon? Or leasing taps from a landowner that has given up? is it a modern workable system or somthing that someone without a clue set up? Many factors,,I know in Hill I only used the mainline over aging and would have been better off not even bothering with that,,in terms of time invested

maple flats
03-04-2006, 08:06 PM
I changed my system around a little this year and re-used about 60 taps and tees. I tried using the 5/16 tubing but was more trouble than it was worth. I finally cut the drops free and scrapped most of the tubing. The drops i re-used were more trouble than they were worth too, I will not try to re-use any again, not worth it and I am generally a guy who tries to re-use - conserve but this is a real pain to re-use.

brookledge
03-04-2006, 08:16 PM
John
With some types of tees that is the age when they can begin to break. I guess the best advice is look at it and determine if it was set up good and how it has been maintained. Was it cleaned each year? What type oftubing was used etc.
You can figure the value of it new and go from there.
As a rule I figure 1 box of tubing per 50 taps. With the push lately to have less taps on each 5/16 lateral line you end up with more mainline and less 5/16 so now a days you can get 75-100 taps per box of tubing. You will have to determine about how much mainline is there to get a value.
otherwise it would be about $190-200 for taps tees and tubing to do 150 taps. If it is in poor condition you might have to take all the 5/16 out and replace anyways so if that need to be done then I'd say it is not worth much at all. If it is good then I'd put a value of about 100-150 on it. May be more if it is in excellent shape.
Let us know what condition it is in?
Keith

John Burton
03-05-2006, 04:30 AM
these are nice brook side trees. Not sure i think beaver river tubing for laterals. the current set up is in good shape .3/4 inch mains.im guesing i could get another 5 or 8 years before id have to replace the laterals. or should i just let him strip that out and work off the mains that are there.I am just not up on tubing like i should be .parker this lot is owned by a lontime friend of the family and suggared by another long time friend .

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-05-2006, 09:12 AM
Got to be careful and not offend a friend. Might try the tubing for a year or two before doing anything to it. :?