PDA

View Full Version : Line going up the hill

philkasza
01-02-2012, 05:17 PM
Has many people had lateral lines that run up to their mains. Because that is what we have, we either run the lat. up the hill or have to have several sap ladders to bring it up , is one way as good as the other. I don't think either way transfers vac very well but I am open to all your opinions. When we don't run the vac pump will the sap travel up to the main or will it only with vac? If the vac is not transfered could we go ahead and load the lines to 15-20 taps per line?

Samuel.

spencer11
01-02-2012, 07:57 PM
i am no expert on tubing systems yet butrunning lats up hill with vacuum is better than having sap latters in the main line. i dont think the lats will run up hill without the vac. if u dont run a vac at all you can load up the lats with 15-20 taps and should not even need a mainline(you could just use 5/16" lateral line as a main line.) i have heard all this but im not an expert yet. hope this helps.

spencer

spud
01-02-2012, 10:54 PM
With or without vac the sap will run up hill. Either way you will lose some production. I was told with a 7 foot sap ladder you will lose 5lbs of vac. Even if you lose 50% production on those taps you still are getting something. Something is better then nothing.

Spud

DrTimPerkins
01-03-2012, 07:35 AM
When we don't run the vac pump will the sap travel up to the main or will it only with vac?

How far UP are we talking (not horizontal distance....just the vertical component)? If it's just a few feet (up to 5-6 ft), it would be OK (but not great) with gravity. With vacuum, somewhat more (10-15 ft). If it's any more than that....don't bother or do it another way.

farmall h
01-05-2012, 06:31 PM
Connect a short mainline off your "original" mainline at a lower point to retreive the laterals that go "up hill".

Thompson's Tree Farm
01-05-2012, 07:10 PM
With or without vac the sap will run up hill. Either way you will lose some production. I was told with a 7 foot sap ladder you will lose 5lbs of vac. Even if you lose 50% production on those taps you still are getting something. Something is better then nothing.

Spud
Spud, Not sure where you got that info. I have about 20 ladders in my bush, some spiders, some double lines and some sap lifts. They lift anywhere from 4 to 17 feet. I lose about one inch of vacuum pressure on them.