PDA

View Full Version : Squirrels!!!!!!!

philkasza
01-02-2012, 05:11 PM
Has anyone found a good way to slow down the squirrel chews in the lines or do you need to just shoot all of them in the woods. But this does not work in some peoples woods where they like the quirrels. This is an emergency so I need a lot of fast first responders. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thanks for the tips. Samuel

Greenwich Maple Man
01-02-2012, 06:05 PM
Rat traps nailed to the trees will work. But if the owners don't want you to kill them you are hung. Lead is the best answer with the little creeps.Trust me you aren't the only one fighting this problem.

Clarkfield Farms
01-02-2012, 06:19 PM
Tree rats are the bane of --- fill in the blank. Just today Dave (Maple Flats) and I were noticing how brand new lines had been chewed. Nothing in those lines to attract them, and chewing on plastic doesn't suffice to grind down the rodents' incisors but they chew because that's what they do.

Build small boxes, floors are optional but recommended (build one and put a trap in it and you'll see what I mean), half-open front (block the top 1/2 to 1/3 of the front), rat trap inside, bait with peanut butter beyond the trap so the short-nosed rats have to climb over the trap to get it. Or make rat poison bait stations... use common sense in anything you decide to do. There are some extremely effective multiple snare setups, look them up from various state & fed ag dept's, also on YouTube. We can't use them here in NY but I'm pretty sure in MI you can, check first!!! The multi-snare method works very well... I'm told.

maplwrks
01-02-2012, 06:43 PM
Bar Bait works really good---You can get it at TSC.

farmall h
01-05-2012, 06:45 PM
SKS semi automatic Chinese assault rifle w/bayonet and 20 round banana clip!

Question for the Dr: What would chew sap tubing into 6" -10" pieces? Including the spout! I found about 7 drops that were chewed off in about a 20ft diameter area. The chew marks were not sharp but rather as if a human chewed them. Would it be deer? Someone told me the other day that it may be coydogs. Definately not a rodent. Your thoughts.:confused:

ennismaple
01-06-2012, 12:31 PM
Farmall H - We've had deer do the same thing. They basically went down the lateral biting it every foot or so.

Greenwich Maple Man
01-06-2012, 06:05 PM
Could be a bear!