PDA

View Full Version : Ready for 2012?

Revi
01-02-2012, 12:13 PM
The way the weather has been we may be tapping pretty soon. We're going to get a little cold weather the next couple of weeks, and that might make it winter.
As long as it stays cold it will be perfect for a nice early start in February. We'll see what happens.
We were going to do some logging, but with the ground only half frozen and no snow, it may not happen this year... What are you up to this year?

western mainer
01-02-2012, 01:07 PM
In the same boat here to. I would like to do some logging but would like a little snow first. Going to the farm show next Tuesday to look at evaporators.
Brian

Bruce L
01-02-2012, 04:22 PM
Started driving in the swamp to make frost roads Saturday,that's where we can get most of our wood in a hurry,but also need cold weather to make frost roads.

01-02-2012, 04:48 PM
Almost done the sugar shack and still thinning the sugar bush

Revi
01-04-2012, 12:56 PM
I think I'll go to the farm show on Wednesday next week. I'll be checking out the maple stuff as well. I think Weds is the late day, isn't it?

Revi
01-04-2012, 01:09 PM
Thursday is the maple producers meeting, but Wednesday is the late day, open until 8pm. The Windependence people have an open house at 7pm on Wednesday. Maybe we could meet up there.

boondocker
01-04-2012, 08:10 PM
revi where is the farm show??? would love to go and check some stuff out and matbe meet up with some of you guys. also where is the producers meeting? thanks

adk1
01-05-2012, 06:03 AM
Nope, not yet. I have alot to do still and "should" get the necessities completed before the last weekend of Feb. Having said that, I must admit that the time is flying by this winter, due to both the relatively warm weather and the fact that I now have something to do!

western mainer
01-05-2012, 11:11 AM
boondocker, go to this sight for info. http://www.getrealmaine.com/
Brian

Revi
01-06-2012, 01:04 PM
The Ag Trades show is in the big convention center across from the mall in Augusta. It's just before UMA on the right. I think it's the Belgrade/Augusta exit. I think I'll go on Wednesday, and maybe we can meet up at the Wind energy hospitality room around 6pm. Sounds like hors d'oevres and light refreshments. It could be cool. Let me know. Here's the schedule:

http://www.getrealmaine.com/_ccLib/attachments/events/2012+ag+trades+show+program+schedule.pdf

western mainer
01-10-2012, 03:33 PM
Good show, CDL,Leader, Thor was there plus maple venders.Had a good chance to look evaporators over.
Brian

sugaringman85
01-10-2012, 03:41 PM
The way the weather has been we may be tapping pretty soon. We're going to get a little cold weather the next couple of weeks, and that might make it winter.
As long as it stays cold it will be perfect for a nice early start in February. We'll see what happens.
We were going to do some logging, but with the ground only half frozen and no snow, it may not happen this year... What are you up to this year?

We've been logging this winter but its been tough feel like we're down south in the swamp logging show. we're making brush roads pretty much every where we go. No snow here in central NH, maybe thursday but its looking more and more like sleet and crap. could use some snow but not like last year shoveling 3 feet of snow to get to stumps and using a ladder at the end of the year to pull taps is a little extreme!

Revi
01-10-2012, 03:58 PM
I'll be at the Ag Trades Show tomorrow and I'll be at the Windependence hospitality room at 6pm. I'm tall, grey hair and a green jacket. If you get there we can talk maple.

gmcooper
01-15-2012, 08:27 PM
Spent the weekend getting new sugarbush ready. Ran 1200' wire for mainline this afternoon, about 2500' left to run. A bit cool today but could have been worse. Landowner was helping cut brush today. He's about as excited as a kid on Christmas morning. His forester was out last week and even he was on board with tapping. They plan to take out some oak in one section in 8-10 years, luckily there are not really any maples where the oak is and hardly any oak where the maples are. Mainline is coming in on Tuesday. Weekends are way too short!

adk1
01-15-2012, 09:20 PM
Nope, not ready yet but am getting there! I insulated the arch wit h2" ceramic blanket and then bricked the firebox. Added refractory over entire brick too. Now that is done. My next major project to tackle is to start running my laterals. That is next weekend.

Revi
01-17-2012, 12:30 PM
We managed to get some wood out this weekend. If we can fill the wood yard we'll have enough for a few years worth of household heating and maybe even some logs for the mill. We'll see. This has been the first weekend it's been cold enough to do anything. I hope it stays cold until February. Then it can turn into sugaring weather. Preferably when I have vacation. We'll see...

Maple Ridge
01-17-2012, 03:44 PM
I am ready. Plenty of wood, the first of February I plan on cleaning out the sugar house and boil some water to clean things out. I hope the weather holds till the end of February. A repeat of last year would be great.

gmcooper
01-21-2012, 07:38 PM
Running more main line wire today. 1200' wire pulls a bit dry alone up hill with 10" snow on the ground. Hope to put up a bunch of mainline tomorrow.

red maples
01-22-2012, 07:55 AM
no not yet I should be very close by the end of the week...this week (except for 1 day I need to ice fish while there is ice!!!) will be dedicated to maple!!!

Revi
01-25-2012, 09:19 PM
We had a bit of rain and some warm temperatures. Here in Skowhegan we haven't lost our snow yet, but I was watching the news and in Bangor there is no snow and they are playing softball already! We are going to have a little cold weather and some snow this weekend, but am I the only one who feels that this hasn't been too bad a a winter so far?

Greenwich Maple Man
01-25-2012, 09:26 PM
We had a bit of rain and some warm temperatures. Here in Skowhegan we haven't lost our snow yet, but I was watching the news and in Bangor there is no snow and they are playing softball already! We are going to have a little coldweather and some snow this weekend, but am I the only one who feels that this hasn't been too bad a a winter so far?

I wonder if we are going to get slammed with real winter in FEB. and March. I've seen both these months be bitter cold. It's all a guess game right now. Not to worried though.

gmcooper
01-26-2012, 07:39 PM
Several years ago in March we had a bit of a cold spell and I think we didn't make syrup any until march 22 or 24. Plenty time for a lot of winter.

adk1
01-26-2012, 08:10 PM
Am I ready! You bet ya I am. I ahve been planning my operation since 2008 and 2012 will be my first year!

gmcooper
01-29-2012, 05:34 PM
4300' new mainline up finally. Start running tubing next weekend. Winter is far from over yet. Besides I have way too much to do.

Revi
02-01-2012, 09:34 AM
I think places west and south of us must be tapping already. I was watching the news this morning and the rest of the country is really warm. The temp is about 60 anywhere south of NY. They must be moving into maple season by now. I wonder if we'll have an early season this year? The way things are going it sure looks like it.

02-01-2012, 02:22 PM
Got mainline up can't wait to start taping

brokenbones
02-20-2012, 06:35 AM
Running like crazy here in Gorham. Buddy collected 80 gallons yesterday i am at the 50 mark.

Maple Ridge
02-20-2012, 01:34 PM
I finished saturday. Sunday I had a few buckets left and the wife thought we should put them in, and so we did. Total of 173 taps, 108 on tube and the rest buckets. Picked up around 40 gal Sunday night. Hope to get enough this week for a first boil Friday.

tessiersfarm
02-20-2012, 04:48 PM
ready or not here we go.

sapsick
02-20-2012, 05:30 PM
I went to my bush in Lexington today. Finished repairs added 3 more laterals for another 35 taps. Started poking holes around noon and had lines flushed by 3. They did leak today som its on its way. Also many thanks to Kevin and Shelly at the Bacon Farms for helping me out with my float box issues. Greatly appreciated

Revi
02-24-2012, 05:03 PM
We're going to boil tomorrow if we can get to the shack through the snowdrifts. This is the most snow we have had since October!