PDA

View Full Version : MeadowSong Farm

bobsklarz
01-02-2012, 11:08 AM
Question: I need to buy a hood for my 2x6. I'm looking at a 2x4 hood for the sap pan only. Sunrise metal has an aluminum w/ drip channels w/ a 6 inch thimble. Leader has a 2x4 aluminum w/ NO drip channel and a 8 inch thimble. Leader's is about $30.00 more than the Sunrise but I'll have to pay shipping from sunrise. Which would be the better hood? Any help w/ my decision would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Bucket Head
01-02-2012, 01:13 PM
Well, you might not get enough condensation on it to need the rail, but it just seems foolish not to have one. Why put any water back into the sap- even if it is a nominal amount? I'd go with the drip rail. I built my hood and could have gone either way, but I put a rail around mine. The six inch thimble will be large enough to handle the steam. If down the road you get a MAX flue pan and you have more steam to evacuate, you can enlarge the 6" opening to an 8" or 10", or add another 6".

Steve

bobsklarz
01-02-2012, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the info. It helps a lot.

wiam
01-02-2012, 03:25 PM
Besides that when you put a preheater in there you can dump the condensate from it into the drip channel.