PDA

View Full Version : need help desiginging a cement block arch.

superscout73
01-02-2012, 06:34 AM
I have a 2x2 flat pan and a 2x3 divided pan, and am looking to design a temporary arch for this year out of cement blocks. any ideas or sugustions?

Cake O' Maple
01-02-2012, 09:14 AM
I'm attaching some pics of my Dad using a cement block arch. He lined the inside with firebrick because the heat will break down the cement blocks if unprotected. Not sure how long they'd lastwithout it--maybe someone will chime in.

He'd add another row of block to the top if the wind was up, to help protect the boil.

Different years were different blocks high.

In the 2nd picture, the pan is pulled off for draining, tasting off the sides [mmmmm] and cleaning. I'm on the far right, with my Mom's Dad in the middle, and a neighbor kid on the left.

3rd pic is better view of stovepipe. Dad is in the blue. Can you tell it was the 70's?

It's a 2x5 divided pan.

HTH

SeanD
01-02-2012, 11:29 AM
Cake,
Those are great pics! I still rock plaid plants. Some things just never go out of style.

Scout,
There's a great bit of detail in the third pic that's worth noting. His dad supported his stack with what looks like a pipe slid through the holes in the block and then shimmed to stay straight. Your stack is going to be at least 10' high plus another 16" for the blocks it rests on. It doesn't take much of a wind to get 11+ feet of stack teetering. The drop light hooked on the stack is a great idea, too.

There are lots of discussions on here about building block arches. Do a search and you'll find a ton of info. Try these for starters.

http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?12045-How-to-Building-a-block-arch.&highlight=block+arch

http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?11897-block-arch&highlight=block+arch

Sean

valleyman
01-08-2012, 07:58 AM
Below is a link to some pics of my block setup. Works well for me. Any questions let me know.

http://s778.photobucket.com/albums/yy67/Valleyman_bucket/2010%20Maple%20Sugaring/

TapME
01-09-2012, 06:26 PM
here are a couple of pictures that can help you out

Mikeh
01-09-2012, 06:38 PM
Hey TapME, I didn't realize you could use regular bricks (red clay) in an arch. How long do they last before cracking/crumbling/etc? Thanks for the idea. Fire bricks are pricey, old chimney bricks are much cheaper...

TapME
01-10-2012, 07:01 AM
there are 2 types of red brick, one that is red and the other is an orange color. the red one deflect the heat well but do crack after a a couple of years if not surported or mortared in. The orange are soft inside bricks(if old ones) that crumble after a while if they get damp, I do not use them if I can help it. these have been in the arch for 3 years and have had no trouble with them. they do a great job saving the blocks from being distroyed. The metal angle with bolts welded to it is the leveling part that holds the pans. 5099
Hey TapME, I didn't realize you could use regular bricks (red clay) in an arch. How long do they last before cracking/crumbling/etc? Thanks for
the idea. Fire bricks are pricey, old chimney bricks are much cheaper...

NH/Pete
01-10-2012, 08:34 AM
What about scrap 1/8" sheet metal to line the inside of the arch instead of brick?

wiam
01-10-2012, 08:45 AM
What about scrap 1/8" sheet metal to line the inside of the arch instead of brick?

No way that will take the heat even if there is no blower.

Mikeh
01-10-2012, 10:08 AM
Thanks TapME, I've gotten by with just cinder blocks in years past but I lose several each year. I've been leery of investing in the fire bricks but I see clay bricks for free all the time on Craigslist.

TapME
01-10-2012, 07:33 PM
the bricks in my firebox glow red hot for hours after I finish boiling, if you think it can take the heat give it a try. The grates you see in the firebox are only old bed frames welded together. They are also 3 years old and in good shape.