PDA

View Full Version : First timer in Missouri question

dnorman
01-01-2012, 11:14 PM
Wanting to try making maple syrup for the first time, my question for those in Missouri. When do I want to have my spouts in. I have heard anytime from late January to Mid February. I'm in west central Missouri. 30 miles East of Kansas City. Any advice for a first timer would be appreciated :)

maple flats
01-02-2012, 06:01 AM
Whenever the extended forecast shows an extended pattern of above freezing days. Welcome to the trader, how many taps do you plan to start with?

dnorman
01-02-2012, 09:37 AM
It's been below freezing at night and above freezing during the day for pretty much late late fall and so far this winter here in my neck of the woods, mild winter for us so far. I have about a dozen trees that I can tap, so about 12 taps is all I will try to do.

Sugarmaker
01-02-2012, 08:41 PM
Good luck! We will be watching:)
Its all about the weather and when the trees bud now. I would have no idea whats happen in Missouri? Not to many folks making syrup out there to my knowledge.
Regards,
Chris

Groves
01-03-2012, 10:27 PM
Welcome to the world of Syrup!

I'm down here in Springfield, and there's at least one other guy on the eastern side of Missouri.

It and addictive hobby, not to mention the sugar high.

I've only been sugaring for 4 years, so I have a lot to learn.

Other years it's been more clear about when to tap. This warm weather is crazy, isn't it?

All of those northern guys can talk about "below freezing at night" and "above freezing during the day", but around here, that translates into November? December? January? February?

I refuse to tap until after Jan 1, but according to the rules, we surely could.

Tap holes close up after a certain amount of time, depending on the temperature and thus the bacteria and the tree healing the wound. I'd like to tap in the next week or so, but if I wait, I may get a better stretch of weather...or worse.

Always a gamble, for the northern guys too, so we're not alone.

Let me know if you have questions or are down our way.

Matthew Groves

Goggleeye
01-10-2012, 09:48 AM
Hello, Hello! I'm the "other guy on the eastern side of Missouri" that Groves is referring to, I think. I'll be tapping all my trees (350) this weekend, probably Saturday morning. Long term forecast shows some good freeze-thaw cycles over the next week and half, and I wouldn't think that the weather would be a lot different in KC area. Any more q's, let us know.

Mark

Trapper IV
02-10-2012, 10:27 AM
I am from North West Missouri & this is my 1st attempt at this syrup thing. I tapped 3 trees in my back yard last Friday & have collected roughly 30 gallons of sap so far. To my amazement the wife & I have actually produced 1 quart of tasty maple syrup so far. I am using a turkey fryer as my evaporator. I hope you have as good luck as I have.