PDA

View Full Version : Isolating Flow-Thru Evaporator Pans - A Question

Ausable
01-01-2012, 08:31 PM
When I assume something - I usually get in trouble. So my question is - On a Factory Built - Flo-thru Evaporator - Can the sap pans and syrup pans be isolated from each other? Like when You shut down and leave the pans sweet till the next boil. I have a home built 2'x5' flat bottomed flo-thru with two 12"x24" sap pans and three 8"x36" syrup pans - I can insert isolating plugs between the last sap pan and the first syrup pan and between the second and last syrup pans. I find it real handy to have this ability and have assumed all evaporators had this ability in some form or another. But - now I don't know - could you answer my question and I appreciate it.

Bucket Head
01-01-2012, 10:45 PM
All raised flue pans have shut off valves. They have to have them because the sap level is higher in the flue pan. I'm not certain on a drop flue, since both pans are at the same level. Only one float on those, at the rear pan. However, I would think there would be a shut off between the two. Or one could be added so flow could be stopped in an emergency or when the front pan is removed for cleaning.

Steve

maple flats
01-02-2012, 05:58 AM
As Bucket said, Raised yes, drop flue sometimes. As long as your 1st boil is at least 3 hours of good boil you have enough concentration to protect against freezing. You will get some slush on top but it will not freeze solid. This being said, If I get a extended freeze after first boil I drain the pans and pump it back in next boil. If a freeze will only be 2-3 days I just watch it, if the slush freezes more than 1/2" deep, I build a short fire, warm the bricks for 1/2 load of wood to warm it and then let it go out again. Each time I do this it gives me an extra day protection. However if the temperatures drop to single digits (F) I drain the pans.

wiam
01-02-2012, 07:42 AM
Dave, I think you will find no need to drain evaporator for cold temps with concentrate. 2 years ago my ro was over 200' from the sugarhouse and I left concentrate in the line and it never froze, even below 0. This was 8-10%. I know it is best to run some permeate through to get sweet out of ro but this seemed to be best way to keep from freezing. Last year I had a shorter run on top of ground so I did same thing. This year concentrate line will be underground so I am not decided yet.

wiam
01-02-2012, 07:55 AM
Ausable, I have not seen a commercially made evaporator without some way to isolate (valves or plugs) I prefer valves as I have seen plugs leak by, but I have not changed mine over yet.

Ausable
01-02-2012, 09:44 AM
Thanks William --- I've looked at many pictures of Evaporators and was never quite sure. Always thought they would have - but - that was an assumption on my part - so figured I'd better ask and know for sure - rather then passing out incorrect information - thanks again ---Mike---