PDA

View Full Version : Inspired by sevencreeksap

hillbillybee
12-30-2011, 01:59 PM
Got a bit motivated in November ...7 1/2''x2'x4' flat pan with a 8x8x24 pre-heat on each side and space by the flu for a couple pots.

A few more welds on the blower ( off of a chev S10)

Come on March....Let the sap flow!!!!

pics to follow

hillbillybee
12-30-2011, 02:01 PM
Hope this works

hillbillybee
12-30-2011, 02:10 PM
Finally , dial up is slower than my outhouse!!!! Next build...Whisky still!!!!

christopherh
12-30-2011, 05:21 PM
Hey nice job! That should work out just fine! What did you use for grates? Are you going to firebick it?

SevenCreeksSap
12-30-2011, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the compliment and I'm surprised when I inspire myself, much less anyone else. I cant take credit for any original thought though because I saw a build by Lugnut on here and got inspired from them. Its good we can all take ideas and make them our own. I need to get a blower setup like that.
I finally got my evap set up and doing a test boil tomorrow. Cant wait til February.

Cardigan99
12-30-2011, 07:49 PM
Seven, looks good. I like the pre heater set up. Just a suggestion... Instead of going right to round pipe off the top, you might want to frame out a rectangle with angle like a standard type evaporator and transition from that to round 2 or 3 feet up. You'll get a more even boil under the back of your pan. I did that on my old barrel rig. Pics of it on here somewhere.

Happy Sugaring!

hillbillybee
12-31-2011, 05:22 AM
Hey nice job! That should work out just fine! What did you use for grates? Are you going to firebick it?

I salvaged an old fireplace grate a few years ago. I will have a test boil in a week or so to burn the paint off and oil out, if it needs a lift i have some rebar to raise it.

I found a place local for 1'' fire brick for .15 a piece ( but their buried in snow now). I've salvaged enough brick to this point and cut some 2'' down to 1''. I'll buy some for extras in the spring.

THe stainless was left over from a honey drum I built a few years back.

All in all it's cost me $20 so far.

One thing I didn't show here in the picks was my baffle... it drops down right at the back of my pan and after the bricks are in it covers 90% of the flue exit. Will this be too much restriction even with the blower?

hillbillybee
01-04-2012, 03:38 PM
Test boil today to burn the paint....WOW that was fun!!! The blower is the cats meow!

Baffle was a bit too restricting and blew smoke out the door at times. I lined with fire bricks after it cooled , cut down the baffle and i'm ready to rock and roll!

Bring on spring eh!!!!!

01-04-2012, 04:54 PM
Haha when I first read your post I thought it said burnt pan but hey it looks great and I am with ya on bring on spring