PDA

View Full Version : Sap's Running!

SeanD
12-27-2011, 12:13 PM
A few trees have wounds from the last storm and they are all running pretty well right now. The forecast looks pretty favorable for more to come. I hope they don't run out before February!

Sean

foursapssyrup
12-27-2011, 09:19 PM
looks like i'll be tapping tom. afternoon!! might get a gallon of syrup out of this.....

this weather is not cooperating with us! sure hope it gets cold soon, not sure what the run would be like if it stays 50* till the end of feb.

SeanD
12-28-2011, 06:59 AM
Seriously. I have to admit, I ran my finger along the bark and tried it. It was VERY sweet to the taste. Usually, I can taste the sweet in the sap, but this was very noticeable. I wonder what the actual sugar content is. By the way, if my neighbor tells you he saw me making out with a tree, he's a liar. I was just trying to see how the sap tasted. :lol:

Sean

Jec
12-28-2011, 07:37 AM
Yeah we drilled a 1/4 inch hole and it was running like the end of February! We couldn't believe it. I hope it gets colder very soon.

GramaCindy
12-28-2011, 07:44 AM
Funny thing SeanD, I do the same thing!!!
Seriously. I have to admit, I ran my finger along the bark and tried it. It was VERY sweet to the taste. Usually, I can taste the sweet in the sap, but this was very noticeable. I wonder what the actual sugar content is. By the way, if my neighbor tells you he saw me making out with a tree, he's a liar. I was just trying to see how the sap tasted. :lol:

Sean

SeanD
12-28-2011, 12:26 PM
Hey Foursap,

I just tried to PM you but it got kicked back b/c your mailbox is full. Are you guys around over the next few days? I'd like to stop in and say hello. You can also put me to work on anything you have going.

Sean

DrTimPerkins
12-28-2011, 01:37 PM
....I hope they don't run out before February!

Perhaps you were saying this in jest, however some people do believe that the amount of sap in a tree is a fixed quantity. In reality, it is not, as there is water uptake through the roots from the soil during the freezing phase, and then exudation (sap flow) during the thawing phase.

SeanD
12-28-2011, 02:31 PM
Yeah, just kidding. Though, like a lot of us, I am feeling the effects of a late summer and now a late fall. The part about making out with the tree was a joke, too. Your trees are safe with me! :)

Sean

foursapsyrup1
12-28-2011, 02:41 PM
Phil and I will be around on Friday along with the other three saps( PUN!). Will be putting the stack back on and , hopefully, doing a test run on the new leader drop flue pans.
Would really appreciate your expertise as a master boiler.
Can't wait to see what you can do with two good legs.

SeanD
12-28-2011, 04:04 PM
Great. I'll give you a call.

I don't know about master boiler - more like master of disaster. I can't wait to see that pan rip!

Sean