PDA

View Full Version : Hanna digital refractometer

jimsudz
12-26-2011, 04:52 PM
Thinking about buying one at Verona,does any one have one and are you happy with it?

Bucket Head
12-26-2011, 10:22 PM
I don't have a Hanna unit, I have a Misco unit. I have no idea on how similiar they might be, but I'll tell you about mine. Its great at checking room temperature stuff, with the unit at room temperature. I can also get a good reading checking sap content. However, when I go to test hot syrup or cold syrup (not room temp.) the reading never holds- the brix reading changes.

The instructions tell how your supposed to wait and let the syrup sample temp. equalize with the unit, which I have done countless times, but it still will not come to a reading and hold there. I don't know if this is a flaw with my unit only, or if it is normal with these type of things. Its the first and only unit I've had so I can not compare. Some people love them and some don't. If you do get one, allways have a hydrometer and cup at the ready just in case.

Steve

christopherh
12-27-2011, 07:37 AM
I use a Misco also. It works pretty well with sap and cold syrup. I have the same problem testing hot syrup. I will get different reading that are close. I send the unit back to Misco for Calibration and testing. I still have the same problems with hot syrup. I usually wait about 2 minutes before I test hot. I get the best reading that way.

mountainvan
12-27-2011, 04:43 PM
I have used the hanna for a couple years, and it works well. look in school science supply catalogs such as cynmar. They are quite a bit less $ and the exact same thing.

tuckermtn
12-27-2011, 05:27 PM
I have a hanna and like the misco it is great at reading sap brix which is pretty much all I use it for. For syrup readings I find it very innacurate, especially hot syrup.