PDA

View Full Version : sugarhouse.

Fred Henderson
03-04-2006, 07:19 AM
I am looking/ seeking ideas on what is the best way to finish off the inside of my sugar house. It was built 6 years ago and has the following, concrete floor, 2 course of 6" block and of frame constructing. The inside is still open studs and rafters.

forester1
03-04-2006, 07:50 AM
I don't know what is the best. I left mine with the studs showing and no inside finishing. I figured there would be less places for rodents to hide that way, but my sugarhouse is away from my residence and I can't check it every week.

brookledge
03-04-2006, 02:12 PM
Fred
What are you trying to acomplish? Do you want to insulate it?
If it is insulated it might be a nice place for rodents to live in during the cold months.
Keith

Fred Henderson
03-04-2006, 04:44 PM
I have water piped out to it now but have not turned it on yet. Also have a hot water heater and a big SS sink. Would like to be able to leave the water on or maybe just let it dribble a little to keep it from freezing over night. Last year I used and insulated plastic barrel to haul hot water to clean my filters. Someday I will not be able to make syrup just because of my age and then maybe I would turn it into a summer cabin to rent by the week.

brookledge
03-04-2006, 08:28 PM
If you insulate it make sure you put up a moisture barrier to keep the steam and moisture from getting into it. Other wise I'd say plywood or panelling for walls. You might look into the white panels that dairy farms use. It can be presure washed and it does not bother it. Also if your evaporator is not a insulated arch you might want to look into using materials that will absorb the radiant heat and then release it at night to keep it warmer inside.
Good luck
Keith

ibby458
03-05-2006, 06:09 AM
Hi Fred!

If you think you might want it as a cabin, I'd use diagonal tongue & groove pine or cedar boarding with a couple coats of waterproof varnish. Very rustic looking. Cut small logs in half, and put them on the walls and across the ceiling every 8 feet, with diagonal braces.

If your hood doesnt catch all the steam, put a big furnace blower in the peak blowing out. (I've got an extra one if you need it) That'll keep it somewhat steam free.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-05-2006, 09:34 AM
Fred,

Might want to put a small room in it for a kitchen and keep the water, heat and etc in there and heat it instead of heating the entire building. That is what I hope to do in mine in a year or two and put a 12x12 bedroom and a 12x12 kitchen in it. :D

maple flats
03-05-2006, 08:44 PM
What is the bedroom for? You can't sleep during boiling or does your wife kick you out when you spend too much time at the sugarhouse? :lol:

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-05-2006, 08:57 PM
When I am boiling late into the night on a Fri, I can get a few hours without driving home. The main thing is a place to spend a Friday night with the family or most of the time with my son. Can't see the wife and daughter there too much. Kinda of camp and for hunting season also! :D

ibby458
03-06-2006, 05:46 AM
The bedroom is for when you spend too much on sugaring equipment and get kicked out of the house. Beats moving in with the dog til the fury subsides!

Fred - Beth said to make sure you transfer all your records from the inside of the existing walls to the new walls so she can keep track of how much better you're doing than we are each year. - Irv

Fred Henderson
03-06-2006, 06:51 AM
ibby458, I can do that, I really hate even the thought of it not being a sugar shack. Oh well I got to quite sometime. I am lucky this year cause I got a good friend that will help me.

Al
03-06-2006, 06:12 PM
HI Fred, I used rough cut hemlockand pine boards to finish off the inside of my shack. Like you I want to be able to use it for more then a sugarhouse. I enjoy getting out of the house and up to the quiet to read.
take care

Fred Henderson
03-06-2006, 06:24 PM
I seriously thinking wiring it, some more windows and have the walls & ceiling sprayed full of foam insulation and then cover it with T&G eastern white cedar of which I have a lot of.