PDA

View Full Version : Cdl

Greenwich Maple Man
12-21-2011, 09:50 PM
Was wondering if anybody has worked with CDL mainline? How does it compare to the Leader brand or Lapi.?

Typical8
12-24-2011, 10:47 AM
I put up some CDL this summer. The CDL high Density I did not care for all all, it was too stiff and did not take SS very well, the other CDL stuff I put up was OK don't remember what it was called. We got some of everyones this summer - CDL, Leader, Lapierre Mapleflex, and H2O. I like the Lapierre the best, it took SS fittings good, was easiest to work with. The 30P is nice to work with but don't like that plastic odor you get with 30P in your sap early in season. The H2O was a little too stiff, but it seemed to have a bigger inside diameter than any of the others. Not all mainline comes with the mileage (feet) stamped on it, I know the Mapleflex had it stampled on it and I really like that feature. We will see what holds up the best.

GeneralStark
12-24-2011, 12:49 PM
I have put up over a mile of CDL Blue 1" and 3/4" mainline and like working with it. I don't have experience with anything else but 100 psi black water pipe. It is easier to work with than black water pipe and straightens easily. It is tricky with stainless fittings, but with a torch and some care it goes together well. I have only used 500" lengths.

802maple
12-24-2011, 04:42 PM
Matt be careful with the torch as it will breakdown the resins and become brittle

maple flats
12-24-2011, 07:01 PM
It is best to get a flaring tool to swell the tubing, then insert the fitting. A friend made both of my flaring tools, but Lapierre sells them too. I'm not sure what sizes they fit. I have one for 3/4-1.25" and a second for 3/4-2". I use then in conjunction with a mainline tool, flare both ends, then insert the SS fitting (or PVC). Most of my fittings are SS, less shoulder to hold sap to spoil. I like the Lapierre SS fittings. I order them from our sponsor, The Maple Guys.

GeneralStark
12-28-2011, 11:32 AM
It is best to get a flaring tool to swell the tubing, then insert the fitting. A friend made both of my flaring tools, but Lapierre sells them too. I'm not sure what sizes they fit. I have one for 3/4-1.25" and a second for 3/4-2". I use then in conjunction with a mainline tool, flare both ends, then insert the SS fitting (or PVC). Most of my fittings are SS, less shoulder to hold sap to spoil. I like the Lapierre SS fittings. I order them from our sponsor, The Maple Guys.

The stainless fittings are really nice, and essential if you're tensioning the pipe, like in a wireless setup. They are not cheap but will last forever and will make for a cleaner system in the long run.

GeneralStark
12-28-2011, 11:32 AM
Matt be careful with the torch as it will breakdown the resins and become brittle

I hear ya Beanie. I use great care with the torch.

jasonl6
12-29-2011, 07:39 AM
If you don't have a tool and have to put fittings together try using hot water. I just ran some 1 1/4" line and just took a bottle of hot water, slowly poured over the end of the tubing for a few seconds then the new fitting slides right in. No worries about damaging the plastic. If your quick with a clamp after you slide the fitting in you can really cinch it down tight since the plastic is malleable.

Jason