PDA

View Full Version : stainless camlocks

tuckermtn
12-21-2011, 08:06 PM
don't know if other folks have been hooking up their filter presses with quick couplers/camlocks, but if your looking for a good source for 1/2 inch stainless quick couplers check out austin homebrew supply. http://www.austinhomebrew.com/index.php?cPath=178_40_131_482

I ordered a bunch of these and put them on either side of my oberdorfer filter press pump and outfitted a bunch of hoses with them. I can switch discharge from the pump if I'm pulling out of a drum, etc. also put them on my finishers so I have a solid connection there. so far, so good...

OneLegJohn
01-14-2012, 10:32 PM
I ordered up some of these fittings. Any idea as to where I can find the high-temp 1/2" hose to go with these fittings? I was actually concerned it might adversely affect the pump performance with the smaller ID hose. I have been using 5/8"

tuckermtn
01-15-2012, 06:53 AM
I ordered http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_40_128_380&products_id=12468
like it so far. I too was concerned about the smaller ID tubing, but its my understanding the the smallest ID on the whole set-up is what determines maximum flow, and since the fittings going in-to and out-of the oberdorfer pump are 1/2" they set the flow rate. I'm no plumber, but that is what I'm assuming.

lpakiz
01-15-2012, 11:05 AM
I also looked at the SS camlocks. Price seems really good. Did you all notice that they also have several types of hose (food-grade) for these fittings??

OneLegJohn
01-15-2012, 06:19 PM
I bought a bunch. Excellent quality. I agree with your theory, however, those hose barb fittings are smaller than 1/2"ion order to fit inside a 1/2" hose. The hose barb portion of the camlock fitting was the part I was referring to about restricting flow. The fittings thread right onto the filter press. I recommend using ss tape instead of Teflon. Worth it.

Hal
01-21-2012, 12:44 PM
A half inch standard male pipe nipple fits perfectly inside the one inch flexible hose commonly used with filter presses. Add a clamp and you're done. The threads on the end of the nipple serve as barbs even though they aren't as long as the barbed area of an insert fitting. You need at least a three inch long nipple, and four inches is probably better.