PDA

View Full Version : oil fumes

davey
03-03-2006, 07:52 AM
I built an oil fired evaporator using the burner unit from my old water heater. What have other people done as far as an exhaust system for the oil fumes. I had hoped my steam hood with a small fan would pull them but I still smell some, especially at start up. I think I am going to have to poke a hole in the side of the evap and vent it outside. I am concerned about heat loss for boiling but I think the benefit of not being overcome by carbonmonoxide fumes and risking an oily flavor in my syrup are probably worth it. Any thoughts on this?

Rob Harvey
03-03-2006, 11:12 AM
I think you are going to need a smoke stack on the back of your evaporator.

NH Maplemaker
03-03-2006, 11:14 AM
davey, Do you have an exhaust stact on this unit? My 3x10 has a 13" or 14" X 15' exhaust stack with a damper built in the base to control btu loss!! If you do, maybe it is'nt tall enough to draw fumes up & out!! Would'nt think you would want those fumes in hood were they will mix with syrup!!

Maplemaker

mapleman3
03-03-2006, 12:07 PM
Yes you do need a stack!! 8O if your not venting out the combustion, Holy Smokes.. Carbon monoxide for sure!!! Shut it off and walk away from the burner 8O whew... now cut a hole in it.. what size nozzle are you using? you'll need to know that to get an idea of a stack size.. the stack needs to go up and out of where your boiling... I cant imagine how you would even keep the thing running very long

davey
03-05-2006, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the input, built a nice stack and boiled some today. Not a hint of oil fumes. I had used this burner on an outdoor model I had built and like an idiot I just hadn't put two and two together. I'll try to post some pictures of my little shack in the barn soon. I built my arch out of an old Georgia Buggy also known as a mason's motorized wheel barrow and it is undoubtedly one of a kind but it works. Everything else, excluding the pan (28 x 40) is also homemade, can't afford anything else.