PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a GOOD Digital Thermometer

SeanD
12-20-2011, 07:37 PM
I'm looking to get a digital thermometer with a probe that is programmable so it will beep at a temperature I set it at. I'd like a portable, magnetic one so I can use it on the evap. and inside when I bottle or make candy.

I see a zillion out there, so I'd like to know if anyone out there could vouch for a certain make and model. I bought a digital insert type a couple of years ago and its temp is off by 60+ degrees - no kidding.

Thanks in advance,
Sean

SeanD
02-24-2012, 08:40 AM
Thought I'd update this for anyone in the same boat. I got the following thermometer at target for $20 and it's perfect.

http://www.target.com/p/Gourmet-Stainless-Steel-Thermometer-with-Probe/-/A-11011171

I originally steered away from these because I thought I specifically needed a candy thermometer. These just mention other foods in the packaging, so I thought it wouldn't work for syrup. Turns out I was wrong. This thing is excellent.

By far the best part of it is I can set the temperature to whatever I like and it has an alarm. Most of the "programmable" candy thermometers have preset temperatures that do us no good. Now I can go get more sap, get wood ready, whatever and not have to run back and check the temp every few seconds especially when I'm close to drawing off. It has been accurate against my other thermometer I use as back up and more importantly against the hydrometer. Stress levels are way down during boils.

Sean

happy thoughts
02-24-2012, 09:00 AM
That's the one I have and I really like it. If for some reason you need to pull the probe out of the syrup and plan on returning it to the pot, I found a good way to keep it clean is to stick it into a clean plastic straw.

Have a great season!

Sundown
02-28-2012, 07:32 PM
I also have this same thermometer. I clip it to my pan at the drawoff with a clothes pin. It works very well and the setable alarm point is a really nice feature. I bought mine at Fleet Farm here in Wisconsin. Still a bit too much like winter to tap here. Probably tap the second week of March.

twocanines
02-28-2012, 08:27 PM
Thanks, I have been doing this with a candy thermometer but very frustrated as it gets covered in condensed steam rendering it unreadable. I have known a digital would be the solution but never could figure out the right one after reviewing page after page of hits when searching.

Forrest hunters
02-29-2012, 10:05 AM
Does this read up to 220? Specs say 32-212. I would assume it would go higher as you guys are raving about it. I would love something I can set and have an alarm go off to tell me when I need to do something. I assume an alarm can be set for 217 or 218.

Review dont seem very good on it?

happy thoughts
02-29-2012, 10:39 AM
> 220F? Absolutely. I had the alarm function set for 221 yesterday and saw temp readings a little higher than that. It worked fine. I just checked the package info and oddly there is no temp range on it. I was just able to set the alarm temp as high as 390F It won't program temps any higher but whether that tells you something about it's upper range, I can't tell you.

Mine just gets used for syrup and this is my second year of use with the same battery. It seems well made and has proved a lot more durable than an older stick type digital I used to have. The steam kept killing the batteries in that one which were hard to replace and somewhat expensive.

3fires
02-29-2012, 10:41 AM
I got mine at Walwart for 13 bucks. It is an oven thermometer and is fully programmable to beep at a preset temp, has a nice long probe too.

wilfredjr
02-29-2012, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the tips. Fleet Farm in Antigo is our major shopping venue:)
Wintery blast today sets back tapping for sure. 8" since last night and still coming down.
Was shooting for Saturday. Ha!
More time to enhance arch is probably a good thing.

Brent
03-05-2012, 10:28 AM
I'm looking to get a digital thermometer with a probe that is programmable so it will beep at a temperature I set it at. I'd like a portable, magnetic one so I can use it on the evap. and inside when I bottle or make candy.

I see a zillion out there, so I'd like to know if anyone out there could vouch for a certain make and model. I bought a digital insert type a couple of years ago and its temp is off by 60+ degrees - no kidding.

Thanks in advance,
Sean

go to www.omega.com (http://www.omega.com) and you'll make your head spin. One of the largest maple distributors / evaporator builders buys and resells (at a very inflated price ) one of their digitals. The stunning part is that when you find the one they offer and look at the specs, the accuracy range is big enough to drive a truck through. We're looking for accuracy of 1 degree or less and the one they offer is like 5 degrees. So all you will get from that is a relative, repeatable number, which after all is all that really matters. Find the temp that makes syrup that day, set the alarm and it will go off when you get to syrup. What the numbers say doesn't really matter. The numbers change every day according to air pressure and other magic. You're going to check the density and adjust it every day anyway.

maple marc
03-05-2012, 06:19 PM
How do you guys suspend the probe in your syrup pan? If you're running 1.5", can you get the probe deep enough if it's vertical? Or do you fix it in the horizontal position? Could you also use it in a canner? Again, getting the probe down in there and keeping it down is the issue.

Thanks,
Marc

Brent
03-05-2012, 07:45 PM
Most pans have one of two styles

1) a hole 1/2" above the pan with a 1/4" ball valve on it and a crimp on the outside of the ball valve so the probe stays parallel to the pan bottom 1/2" deep.

2) a hole through the side or sometimes through the draw off box and the side both. The hole is about 3 1/2 to 4" above the bottom.
A fitting is welded or soldered in and a crimp fitting attached. Then put in a stiff bolt or nail or something and lift on the outside to bend the side of the pan allowing the tip of the probe to immerse at about a 30 to 45 deg angle.

You could go vertical but then you get some variation in the reading depending on how deep the bubbling / foaming is and where the
sensor is in the tip of the probe. The digital I used a couple years ago went nuts on me. Later I discovered the wire had pulled the sensor up out of the tip causing eratic readings.

lpakiz
03-05-2012, 09:31 PM
I bought the Taylor Thermometer at Fleet last week. $14.99 Hope it works.........

maple marc
03-06-2012, 10:47 PM
Brent, I was wondering about how they suspend these units on cables. I have the regular through the wall unit, but I'd like to know they these guys are placing the probes that are on cables. I like the idea of the $14 thermometer. How do you guys do it?

Marc