PDA

View Full Version : How to build a moister trap???????????

philkasza
12-20-2011, 04:49 PM
I was wanting to save some money so I was going to try to build my own moister trap any one have any ideas how to or where I could get one for cheap?
Thanks Philip

12-20-2011, 05:17 PM
A whole house filter with a ping pong ball inside

tuckermtn
12-20-2011, 08:01 PM
I have used the culligan whole house lexan ones with a raquet ball. Need to make sure the flange for the ball to sit on is smooth enough for it to sit well. Disclosure is I have had this design fail on me and had sap get in to my pump...

markct
12-22-2011, 04:34 PM
i have one of them filter housings, yet cant see how to easily guide the raquetball so it reliably will seal over the opening when it floats up, i have built a couple with a 3 inch pvc tee and a reducer to 1.5 inch on the top, when the ball floats up it goes in the reducer and shuts the vac right off to it

schellmaple
12-23-2011, 07:22 AM
markct,
Do you have any pictures of this setup?

i have one of them filter housings, yet cant see how to easily guide the raquetball so it reliably will seal over the opening when it floats up, i have built a couple with a 3 inch pvc tee and a reducer to 1.5 inch on the top, when the ball floats up it goes in the reducer and shuts the vac right off to it

markct
12-25-2011, 11:32 AM
it wont let me upload the picture here for some dumb reason, but here is the link to it on fb i think it will work that way, the moisture trap is on the left side, the top is a reducer that is shaped like a funnel inside so when the raquetball floats to the top it seals off the line going to the pump, i know it works cause my releaser froze up a few times and it sealed off with no damage done.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150134990003582&l=6a152ab606

Dill
12-28-2011, 09:50 AM
I used the whole house filter and the racquet ball. It did its job twice last season. The only thing I would change is I cheaped out and bought the opaque whole house filter, should have spent another 5 bucks and bought the clear one.

Amber Gold
12-28-2011, 01:52 PM
Ditto w/ everyone else. Just make sure you put a valve in upstream of the moisture trap so you can shut the vac. off and take it apart. The only downside to this is the volume of the trap is pretty small. A larger chamber would be nice and like Alden said, a clear one. Another thing, make sure the inlet/let size to the filter housing match the vac. line dia.

maple flats
01-30-2012, 06:17 PM
I made one like markct did. It works well. I have a 4" pvc pipe about 24" long with a reducing coupling on the bottom, with a 4" screw in plug to replace the racquette ball, then it reduces down to a 3/4" ball valve for draining. My side inlet is 2" and I have about 6" above that of 4" pipe and then a reducing coupling down to 1.5". Out the top is a 1.5 x 2 x 2 tee with the 1.5 to the trap, a 2" out the side to the pump and the top 2" has a fernco cap to push the ball loose if it gets stuck inside the 1.5 outlet. Sometimes it does, sometimes not. In use when you get moisture the bottom leg will fill, it it gets up to the side inlet it quickly sucks the ball into the 1.5" top outlet and cuts off flow, both air and sap. The regulator lets in air to satisfy the pump to prevent over heating. To drain, just close the vac valve, open the ball valve drain. If the ball got stuck remove the Fernco cap and push the ball loose with a piece of 1" plastic tubing.