PDA

View Full Version : In my off time: Honorary US Navy Blue Angel

MapleME
12-19-2011, 07:33 PM
This summer I was honored by the United States Navy Flight Demonstration Squadron, Blue Angels. The Blue Angels honor and fly 15 civilians max. each year. It was a tremendous honor to spend the day with them, and to train with them and of course, FLY with them in the F/A-18 Hornet- one of the nastiest strike/fighter aircraft known to man. I was treated like a king, and it will no doubt be a highlight of my life.

After all said and done, I was given a DVD of my flight in which the camera was pointed on me! Kinda funny- we flew for over an hour and I had no idea. I put my photo/video editing skills to the test with iMovie, and put a short compilation together of some of the bigger maneuvers and photos from the ground to match. AND, naturally- I chose some fitting music for the background :)

I figured this was the place to share. Completely non-maple related, but all of us have other stuff we do the other 10 months of the year right???

Photo gallery: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150217507095710.463329.727595709&type=1&l=e04430c582

Video:http://vimeo.com/32218011

DrTimPerkins
12-19-2011, 07:41 PM
Excellent! My wife got me a "History Flight" a few years ago. Went up in a WWII-era Navy fighter-trainer and got to fly it for about an hour and do some aerobatics (two-seater, so instructor in back telling me how to do the manuvers). That was just a prop plane, but was a lot faster and more nimble than any other plane I'd flown before. Lots of fun...except for the faint smell of vomit from a few people ahead of me. They clean out the cockpit between people...but the smell lingers. The F18 must have been an incredible blast....very very envious.

MapleME
12-19-2011, 07:44 PM
Tim, Indeed- sitting atop of those two engines was magical. Cant describe the forces involved, but I can describe what I felt like the day after. Kinda reminded me of what I felt like every morning after triple sessions in football, that first week back. Everything hurt, with a combination of being run over by a train. The G's take a major toll on your body.

I AM happy to report though, I lost no body fluids during the flight! out of any orifice!

Bruce L
12-19-2011, 08:29 PM
Really enjoyed your video,and seriously envy you,when I finished college i debated on joining the Air Force,or farming.Had I picked the Air Force,i would have either been dead now,or retired and be able to play in maple rather than try to make a living at it

spud
12-19-2011, 10:22 PM
What a cool video. I envy you big time. I have seen the Blue Angels many times while living in Alaska and i can never get enough. I hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas.

Spud

christopherh
12-20-2011, 07:53 AM
What a great opportunity! Not many people get a chance to do that! I've enjoyed working in the aviation industry for many years as a mechanic and pilot. That must have been quite a ride!! Nice job on the video to!

cvmaple
01-11-2012, 09:13 AM
Just watched your video! Very cool, thanks for posting it and by the way you did just fine.

MilesTeg
01-11-2012, 09:39 AM
I don't know if you met any of the Fat Albert crew but I served with most the crew. Last time I met up with them when they came around my area we tore up the town pretty good. I miss those guys I'm glad you had a good time there all stand up individuals.

MapleME
01-11-2012, 08:30 PM
Miles, were you with the Blues? I met a bunch of those guys. On airshow days we had breakfast together which was a whole bunch of fun. GREAT bunch of guys.

Thanks for the kudos on the video CV....tried my best and what a friggin honor and trip of a lifetime!

MilesTeg
01-11-2012, 10:14 PM
I flew with alot of the crew of Fat Albert in there regular squadrons. I got out of the marines before I could even think about becoming one of the blues. The two current engineers on fat Albert I was really good friends with and still talk to them.

lastwoodsman
01-12-2012, 06:32 AM
All I can say is WOW!!!!!!

Woodsman

MapleME
01-12-2012, 06:19 PM
Ahh, I don't think I met them...I did meet a bunch of paint shop guys. We were shooting the **** about how the official blue angels paints are actually auto paint...and that the numbers are vinyl decals on the tails. This came up because the #6 angel was being replaced for my flight with the #7 plane which is the trainer (2 seater)...so they re badged it #6 for the airshow so the crowd has no idea unless you really know what your looking for. Kinda neat stuff.