PDA

View Full Version : Chinese bucket taps

mapleack
12-19-2011, 10:44 AM
Check out this ebay listing http://www.ebay.com/itm/100pcs-5-16-Maple-Syrup-Spile-Taps-Spouts-/280789291289?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4160589119#ht_500wt_1202 It appears someone in China is producing bucket taps. Kind of scary!

lakeview maple
12-19-2011, 10:52 AM
With all the news reports about toys and other items coming out of China with Lead in the paint or the materials I wouldnt touch those with a ten ft pole.Al

Amber Gold
12-19-2011, 02:45 PM
So he just makes those in his shop...

KenWP
12-19-2011, 06:44 PM
There is a good chance a lot of the taps are made in China we just don't know about it.

KenWP
12-19-2011, 06:47 PM
How pray tell does China get mentioned anywhere in that Ebay listing.

heus
12-19-2011, 06:58 PM
The address of the seller is in China.

Mitch
12-19-2011, 09:37 PM
He's a little short on feedback, too...

daniel
12-20-2011, 04:34 AM
Hello, everyone.
Thanks for your attention, we are Daniel Hardware Co., Ltd., the producer for these spouts.
Our spouts have been tested and proved to be lead free by some dealers in United States and Canada. Lead free euipment is very important for maple syrup, we understand that and have been exporting many metal products to north America and Europe every year.
To let more customers test and try our spouts, we opened our ebay store this month. You can also buy at our website, http://www.danielhardwaresupply.com/Products.html

Any question, please send us email info@danielhardwaresupply.com,
Thanks & Merry Christmas

tuckermtn
12-20-2011, 05:45 AM
I would think that the various tap designs are patented? if so, is Daniel Hardware producing them with the knowledge of the other manufacturers?

also doesn't state what metal these are made of? (oops, just checked the ebay posting- lead free zinc alloy vs. aluminium for the Leader ones)

1badsapper
12-20-2011, 09:43 PM
Generally bucket taps are a poor quality casting and would be easy to produce. As long as the same raw materials are used the Chinese version would be equal. I prefer to by American, but I have not seen an American casting mark on any of my taps. We may be using the Chinese taps and not even know it.

Flat47
12-23-2011, 08:45 PM
Don't the Leader taps have "Made in Canada" cast into them??? I'm fine with that. I'd much rather support a maple producer-driven company like Leader.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-24-2011, 06:06 AM
Just curious what Dr Perkins has to say about these and being food grade??

daniel
12-27-2011, 09:30 AM
Each saves $0.50~$1.00, it is a good deal. http://www.ebay.com/sch/danielhardware2011/m.html?hash=item41605889cb&item=280789289419&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&_trksid=p4340.l2562

heus
12-27-2011, 09:48 AM
daniel can you verify that these are lead-free?

markct
12-27-2011, 07:45 PM
i kinda doubt they have a lead issue, usualy zinc alloy is just cheap pot metal, i would be more afraid they wouldnt hold as well as the aluminum leader ones.

daniel
12-28-2011, 08:23 AM
Zinc alloy is harder, heavier and stronger material than aluminum

We are professional manufacturer, when I got some spouts made in Canada, I am sure they are made of zinc alloy although every sugar producer and every website said they are aluminum, if the leader ones are made of aluminum, I am sure our lead free zinc alloy spouts are stronger and more durable than that.

Lead free is very important, but the material-cost-difference between ordinary zinc alloy and lead-free zinc alloy for each spout is just $0.05, why should we take a risk to lose our business just for $0.05?

Dave Y
12-29-2011, 04:46 AM
If you would move your manufacturing company to North America i would be happy to buy them!

jlemieux
12-29-2011, 08:31 AM
Just wondering if anyone has dared to buy some of these yet. The price is very tempting, but I am a little nervous about being scammed or poor quality. Everything is made in China, so I guess I could live with that, just worried about getting what I paid for. Maybe Dr. Tim could shed some light on this manufacturer. It's nice to see reasonable priced stuff for those of us who still are using buckets. Maybe daniel could start making 16 quart buckets for $10.

Jim Schumacher
01-02-2012, 05:22 PM
"daniel", would you be willing to share with us your background in the production of maple syrup? Please don't exclude the details. Give us an overview of how you perceive the process. Where are you in New York? As a business you will be happy to share a phone number right? Let me guess, it starts with an "86" right? After we dial the North American exit code? Would you please offer your IP address? Is it 65.46.14.12? I think it is. Congratulations on making it through the antispam software on this site. How is the weather in China today?

jmayerl
01-02-2012, 09:01 PM
"daniel", would you be willing to share with us your background in the production of maple syrup? Please don't exclude the details. Give us an overview of how you perceive the process. Where are you in New York? As a business you will be happy to share a phone number right? Let me guess, it starts with an "86" right? After we dial the North American exit code? Would you please offer your IP address? Is it 65.46.14.12? I think it is. Congratulations on making it through the antispam software on this site. How is the weather in China today?

Lol..........

Flat47
01-04-2012, 06:19 AM

You nailed it, Jim. It's just as I thought.

lastwoodsman
01-04-2012, 07:29 AM
As long as I will be in this North American business I will knownly only buy American or Canadian.

PERIOD.

Woodsman

DrTimPerkins
01-04-2012, 07:50 AM
Just curious what Dr Perkins has to say about these and being food grade??

I have no knowledge or experience with these particular spouts, so can't really comment on them. We've used a few of the Leader 5/16" bucket spouts for a specific project and they worked reasonably well.

As an occasional shopper on eBay, one concern (not about food-grade) I'd have buying from this particular vendor is they have 0 (zero) feedback score, meaning they've not sold anything yet, at least through eBay. Given that, do you want to be the first to test these out?

Josh Nickles
01-05-2012, 11:08 AM
Are there any moderators on this forum anymore? Nothin like allowing The spammers into the site and giving them total exposure to there terrible products. Daniel is having a field day off of this. "Come on in spamers, you are all welcome here on maple trader. Good-bye America.

maple connection
02-28-2012, 08:15 AM
Its kind of funny, I checked into these taps and they are out of supply because CDL bought all they had and don't really want them to sell them out right anymore.
So are you really buying taps that are made in Canada or the U.S.A.:o

jmp
02-28-2012, 08:34 AM
Just read through this thread and it makes me sick to my stomach. So much outsourcing for the almighty dollar. I own a land development business and have been in business for over 11 years. We regularly turn down business, etc. that we feel does not meet our ethical requirements. What about what is more important our health or corporate greed? Ok I am done griping. Sorry.

mike z
02-28-2012, 07:28 PM
Chinese taps and mexicans to pound them in. (I can say this cause I married a mexican, and my kids help with the tapping:o)

heus
12-30-2012, 09:57 PM
These are back on Ebay by the way...

Flat Lander Sugaring
12-31-2012, 04:35 AM
we'll all be owned by the chinese after tonight when we fall off the "fiscal cliff" Depression

heus
12-31-2012, 06:31 AM
Dont worry the crooks I mean politicians in Congress will come through before midnight and look like heroes.