PDA

View Full Version : National Maple Syrup Day

DrTimPerkins
12-18-2011, 09:20 AM
I hope everyone had a wonderful National Maple Syrup Day yesterday (Dec 17th). It's my wife's birthday, so I get a nice reminder each year. :)

Bruce L
12-18-2011, 09:23 AM
Sorry Doc,never heard of it,might be only a U.S day?

DrTimPerkins
12-18-2011, 10:26 AM
Sorry Doc,never heard of it,might be only a U.S day?

Yes, only U.S. as far as I know. It is one of those obscure things not many people know about....but given the focus of this group, we should spread the news.

http://www.wikihow.com/Celebrate-National-Maple-Syrup-Day

DrTimPerkins
12-18-2011, 10:36 AM
Sorry...duplicate

maple flats
12-18-2011, 11:35 AM
We should try to make it world wide.

CBOYER
12-18-2011, 02:44 PM
funny, read an articles from the "Maple girls" (les filles de l'érable) a Quebec federation french blog about it, they were surprised that US have a maple day, but not in Canada...Happy birthday to your wife Dr Tim..

markct
12-18-2011, 05:39 PM
hmm guess thats gota be promoted a bit more? if the majority of us maple addicts never heard of it i doubt many other folks have!

stoweski
12-18-2011, 05:42 PM
And I had plenty as I rebottled 1/2 pint and pint Christmas gifts. Sure was nice to fire up the bottler and get a whiff of some hot maple syrup!!!

DrTimPerkins
12-18-2011, 06:34 PM
...Happy birthday to your wife Dr Tim..

Thanks....and given that we're both from northern Vermont, she is of French-Canadian heritage....maiden name of Tanguay. They spoke mostly French in their home until she was about 10.

40to1
12-18-2011, 11:29 PM
Happy Maple Syrup Day to everyone!

Sorry to hear that it's not celebrated up north, but here in Massachusetts, it's a big day!
Schools were closed, most businesses had it off, and parking meters were free.

The clergy gathered for the official blessing of the maple trees in the morning. The Maple Syrup Parade marched throughout Boston, ending at Copley Square where Miss Maple Syrup was crowned with what appeared to be a pancake crown.
At dusk a carefully chosen virgin was thrown into a volcano (Mount Evaporator) to appease the sap gods and ensure a bountiful harvest for the coming year.
Later, in local sugar houses around Boston, about a dozen maple-themed balls danced away the night.

Can't wait 'til next year!

adk1
12-19-2011, 12:16 PM
They really need to add "add maple syrup to your favorite whisky"....

CBOYER
12-19-2011, 01:38 PM
Thanks....and given that we're both from northern Vermont, she is of French-Canadian heritage....maiden name of Tanguay. They spoke mostly French in their home until she was about 10.

Behind every great man there is a woman

DrTimPerkins
12-19-2011, 01:49 PM
Behind every great man there is a woman

Carrying a stick.....

ToadHill
12-19-2011, 03:45 PM
Hey 40to1,

I thought that Dr. Tim's research is pretty much insuring that we have a bountiful harvest even in bad years. Seems like your ceremony was a waste of a perfectly good virgin. Sorry, Dr. Tim I couldn't help it.

DrTimPerkins
12-19-2011, 07:34 PM
Seems like your ceremony was a waste of a perfectly good virgin.

I was wondering how one might get on the committee to select this young maiden. :D

40to1
12-19-2011, 09:39 PM
The committee is quite dedicated and spirited about its work.
Despite the very late nights and many many meetings, all members have perfect attendance records.

The work can be frustrating because, tragically, so many maidens seek to disqualify themselves - usually during the part of the meetings when the lights are dimmed, the romantic music is turned on low, and the champagne is almost gone.

Doctor, I am certain that with your credentials a place could be made for you on the committee. But remember, you have a good woman behind you - carrying a big stick. :)

Maplesedge
12-20-2011, 04:12 PM
Mon Dieu! I have missed the parade again. Oh well, there are no virgins in this part of Massachusetts anyway.

But why December 17? Should have made it in March?

Ausable
12-21-2011, 01:40 PM
Maple Syrup has a special day - What a nice thing. One of my Great-Grand-daughters seems a little extra sweet and now I know why. She shares
Her Birthday with National Maple Syrup Day. Always learning -- lol -------Mike-----