PDA

View Full Version : Leader Half Pint

68bird
12-17-2011, 06:04 PM
I have a Half Pint that needs a new back panel. I also need to have a pan made for it. Should I just replace the panel as is, or should I modify it to make it a 2' x4' with a top stack. I do have a welder, and some skill. I can put out b/t 40 and 100 taps. This will be my 1st year, and I will have help. Any advise will be great. Doug

Josh Nickles
12-17-2011, 06:54 PM
I think a top stack would be better for you. A 2'x4' pan would be none too big either. I would put dividers in it too. Call Jim schumacher 920-202-4500. Or contact him on here or his website. I don't see him arou nd much now on here. He must be busy building those amazing pan that he is known for. You can't go wrong.

boondocker
12-17-2011, 09:32 PM
In my opinion i would transform it to a 2x4. A buddy of mine has a half pint, and all it does is eat wood and and not make much product. We welded a plate across the back of it to try and keep the heat in longer and it did help but............ He sold his 2x6 leader to down size, he regrets it now.

68bird
12-18-2011, 06:05 AM
Thanks for the advice. I have a row of fire brick about 6" from the back that comes up to within about 6" from the(at this point) "imaginary" pan.Although he sold the pan, a friend of mine boiled on it in the past, and says it works pretty good.I have picked up a preheater pan for it. If I find a deal on a pan,I think it will help make my decision too.

motoru547
12-24-2011, 03:49 PM
On my third season with half pint and have had great sucess with it. Keep a eye on Leader's webpage for factory seconds for new pan if needed.

halfpint
12-27-2011, 07:05 AM
I am on my second season with my half pint. The back where the stack leaves the arch does have some small holes in it. I have consulted with a welder to repair and he said it is no big deal to repair. Last year I made about 12 gallons of finished syrup and used close to 2 cord of wood. I don't think this thing is a wood hog. Although If I was running more taps I would be wanting to get something bigger. But that is just part of the sickness of sugarin'. You always want more taps and bigger evaporators.

I say try to do it cheap this year and then buy the equipment you need when you can afford it. Your half-pint can be sold to another aspiring producer as you step up the evaporator ladder.

Tim

68bird
12-27-2011, 06:26 PM
Thanks again guys. I'm still not sure what to do, but either way it should be a fun season.