PDA

View Full Version : Maple Whiskey

jasonl6
12-14-2011, 10:08 AM
I was watching a rerun of dirty jobs last night were mike was making whiskey. As most people know they use molasses a byproduct of sugarcane to produce whiskey. Yeast converts sugars to alcohol and after some distilling you have whiskey. I was sitting there wondering if someone could make whiskey out of c grade maple syrup. While the density is less than molasses the sugar content is higher. The off flavor should not effect the finished alcohol. Any thoughts on this? I know a local producer made Maple Wine.

Side notes. Maple alcohol powered cars :-) mmm the sweet smell. Would be good for marketing if you could get taxi's to run it. Everyone in town would be craving for pancakes.

Jason

jasonl6
12-14-2011, 11:43 AM
I was provided a link to - http://www.cabinfeverspirits.com/ from a friend on another site. Looks like someone did it already.

Might be worth getting the $5 Pa brewing license and making some.
Jason

Ausable
12-14-2011, 01:18 PM
Whiskey is made by taking a distilled alcohol like vodka - placing it in a charred - white oak keg and letting it age. I forget the time span for a U.S. Govt. Bonded Whiskey - but think it is 7 or 8 years. Both the color and the taste is imparted over time from the charred oak inside the oak keg. In the United States a Whiskey Keg may be used only once by a government approved distillery. In England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales and other whiskey making countries - the kegs are used numerous times. The inside of the keg is just recharred. I think here we just use them just once to keep the Barrel Coopers working.....Thats why you see old whiskey barrels for sale as planters - cause of the use only once law........You can make whiskey out of any neutral alcohol....Many folks still believe it has to be made from corn - another myth. Charred - White Oak makes Whiskey.......Mike----

Indiana-Jones
12-14-2011, 02:22 PM
I think that I saw on TV, that some of the once used whiskey barrels end up being used to make dark rum.

Maple whiskey?? I'm hooked bad enough on just the syrup, I could do some real damage with maple flavor alcohol.

lakeview maple
12-14-2011, 02:30 PM
The Cabin Fever whiskey is a very smooth nice flavored boiling soda I might add.:emb:

Maplehobbyist
12-14-2011, 07:20 PM
...You can make whiskey out of any neutral alcohol....Many folks still believe it has to be made from corn - another myth. Charred - White Oak makes Whiskey.......Mike----

Bourbon whiskey regulations state that it must be aged at least 2 years in new, charred white oak barrels and must contain at least 51% corn in the mash. Many other whiskeys are aged in used Bourbon barrels, but they don't have to be and they can be made from many types of grain. A friend and I are going to distill some mash this weekend and attempt to make bourbon. If it's successful, we may have a go at maple syrup whiskey.

Ausable
12-15-2011, 04:40 AM
You are right Tracy - Bourbon is made from Corn ---- memory is not as good as it once was. Only two years to age - seems kinda short? I would think making a maple whiskey would be more like making brandy - to impart maple flavor. When I once made wine I had quite a collection of books on the subject and naturally anything to do with making alcohol of any kind was in some of them - basement flooded and they were lost - lol - just as well. --Mike--

Maplehobbyist
12-17-2011, 07:08 AM
...Only two years to age - seems kinda short?...

Most distillery's age for at least 4 years and some go up to 18 for their top-of-the-line brand.

Too bad about your books. Has your wine making hobby been replaced by your syrup making hobby or do you still do the wine?

Ausable
12-17-2011, 12:51 PM
Most distillery's age for at least 4 years and some go up to 18 for their top-of-the-line brand.

Too bad about your books. Has your wine making hobby been replaced by your syrup making hobby or do you still do the wine?

It has been a very long time since I last made any Wine - about 35 years - so you can see why memory is off on that subject. One of my Daughters and her Husband started making wine a few years back and they are doing ok at it. Of course some of my ideas differ from hers. For final fermation I would use a five gallon water bottle with a stopper and a copper tube going from the stopper into a jar filled with water - that was an easy way to tell when the wine was done working and it also kept wild airborne yeasts out of the wine....... My Daughter will use nothing but a modern fermentation lock -- gotta admidt - it works just as well - lol-- -- Yep -- Maple Syrup making has replaced wine making -- No reason You couldn't do both though ---Mike---

Tithis
12-17-2011, 06:57 PM
Whisky or Whiskey is always made from grains: corn, rye, barley, wheat, etc.. Rum is made from various sugar cane products such as molasses.

Acerglyn is a mead (honey wine) that's made with a mix of honey and syrup and its the closest I've ever heard to a maple based alcoholic drink (as in the yeast is eating the maple sugar)

I've tried cabin fever whiskey, its alright but its seems more like a liqueur then hard liquor. I found it much too sweet to drink straight like other whiskeys. It seems like it would taste great added to eggnog.

wiam
12-18-2011, 09:49 AM
There is a small distillery near me that makes a maple vodka and a milk vodka. I have been in the building, but do not know much about them.

CBOYER
12-18-2011, 02:31 PM
this pruduct is made in Québec, Sortilege

http://www.futailles.com/en/fiche.aspx?id=24

Specklefield Farm
01-04-2012, 08:29 PM
Cabin Fever is way to sweet! More of a late night pancake topping if you ask me

Clarkfield Farms
01-09-2012, 06:00 PM
A friend and I are going to distill some mash this weekend and attempt to make bourbon. If it's successful, we may have a go at maple syrup whiskey.

Don't go 'round saying that, only a few countries around the world allow citizens to distill without the license and the proof tax payments to the gov't., and no states allow it (it became a fed thing way back when; "Whiskey Rebellion" come to mind? :) )... but I'm sure you already knew that. Just sayin', I know of at least one site that got shut down because of some threads and posts that got started on it. One of the guys posting was from New Zealand, where they DO allow it. Like I said, just sayin'...

That said, in my apple wines I use maple syrup to get the fermentable sugars up to have enough to get the ABV above that of hard cider. Current batch, fermented 11/2010, is at about 16.5%, and although it's dry as a bone (final gravity, temp adjusted, 0.988) the maple and apple flavors give it a slight off-dry taste and feel and youi should NOT plan on operating any type of machinery for a good long while after drinking any of it. Here's a link to the best acerglyn/mead that I've ever had: http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9177&highlight=aphrodisiac You may have to register/log-in in order to view, but -- it's amazing stuff. Not that cloyingly sweet cabin fever stuff. It's appropriately named. I've made a bunch of different types of maple(acerglyn)/meads, but that one was without question stuff that made me and everyone else wonder how it could have been made by me. :P

And as for the whiskeys, whiskys, bourbons et al -- there's so much more to it all. What was used? Pot still? Reflux? What management system? It doesn't matter for us, which brings me round again to: Just sayin'. :) Not claiming to know more than your average bear about it but it's something that is my goal to do professionally one day soon. I don't care who you are, start looking into it all and you'll get lost deeper that you could in the maple lore. But it's fun. I hope to run into some of you guys and gals that make your own beer, wine, and whatever!

1badsapper
01-09-2012, 06:54 PM
I'm with ya brother, Maple whiskey it is!
We keep this in the sap shack for emergency use only.

wcproctor
01-09-2012, 07:16 PM
Cabin Fever whiskey is good with apple cider. Had two bottles.

Rossell's Sugar Camp
01-09-2012, 08:11 PM
I have a bucket of sap that i drained my evaporator into. it was about 25% sugar. Anybody want to distill it? :lol: it would probably make some good vinegar about now.

wiam
01-10-2012, 08:58 AM
Why didn't you finish it off?

Flat Lander Sugaring
09-29-2012, 04:11 AM
Finally purchased a bottle, not bad better as a mix than a shot:o

Waynehere
10-07-2012, 08:08 PM
I tried the Cabin Fever and love it on the rocks, after it has had time to melt a little. Plus on Vanilla ice cream..... :)

Flat Lander Sugaring
01-25-2014, 10:29 AM
ITS 5 O'CLOCK SOME WHERE
As i sit here reading the posts believe it or not I am trying out a new bottle of never tried Maple whiskey. I picked up a Jim Beam Maple last night. It must be good because its half gone and need some one to go to the store for me to get another one.

Oh yea the Seagrams7 Dark honey is very good also, That bottle is about 1/4 gone since last night

maple milker
01-25-2014, 12:36 PM
I don't claim to be much of a drinker, but my wife bought me a bottle of the Crown Royal Maple whiskey for Christmas. I guess she thought it would keep me warm this winter?? Anyway, I've been mixing about 3 parts whiskey to 1 part light amber and swirling with ice. Really goes down smooooooth!

Flat Lander Sugaring
01-25-2014, 12:57 PM
I don't claim to be much of a drinker, but my wife bought me a bottle of the Crown Royal Maple whiskey for Christmas. I guess she thought it would keep me warm this winter?? Anyway, I've been mixing about 3 parts whiskey to 1 part light amber and swirling with ice. Really goes down smooooooth!

New drink
The Michigan Swirl

maple milker
01-25-2014, 01:03 PM
Actually, I thought I read that the official name for a whiskey/maplesyrup combination is a "Beaver Tail" -stirred not shaken :lol:

Flat Lander Sugaring
01-25-2014, 01:05 PM
Actually, I thought I read that the official name for a whiskey/maplesyrup combination is a "Beaver Tail" -stirred not shaken :lol:

Michigan Beaver Tail:o

guess im not going any where today

Flat Lander Sugaring
01-25-2014, 01:19 PM
My first Michigan swirl
Sorry had to alter the ingredients since I dont have any Michigan Syrup cough cough hint hint

fishman
01-25-2014, 06:30 PM
Son gave me a bottle of crown royal maple for putting on his wedding. Only bad thing about it is that it didn't last very long. Good stuff. Hate the price though but gotta do top shelf once in awhilw.

Vermont Creation Hardwood
01-25-2014, 06:49 PM
Both Sortilege, made in Quebec, and Sapling, made in Vermont are whiskey infused with maple syrup. The proportions, as mentioned above, are three parts whiskey, any whiskey, and I part maple syrup. Goes down really smooth, especially when the syrup is right out of the evaporator. Try it with an aged scotch and it is wonderful.