PDA

View Full Version : underground permenate tubeing mainline

Dale Westrick
03-02-2006, 08:14 AM
Just wondering if anyone has experminited withthis type of system and what the results were.

Brian
03-02-2006, 08:49 AM
I know a guy that buries his main lines for road access. The problem with this is you can't find the vacuum leaks until you wash in the spring. (water coming out of the ground) Another problem is if the line is not below the frost line and is not perfectly pitched "no sags", the mainline can freeze hard for days while the tubing is trying to run. Overall, I don't think it's a good set up.

maplehound
03-02-2006, 04:22 PM
How would you go about installing it in the woods? I think you would damage alot of tree roots. But once installed I am sure you could figure a way to keep it drained. Friend of mine put his tank in a pit so he could get enough fall. He filled the pit with several inches of gravel and buried in the gravel is a drain pipe that drains the pit out into a field. If you could do that then burie your lines it still might give you a good fall.
Ron

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
03-02-2006, 04:45 PM
post edited

Sugarmaker
03-02-2006, 07:10 PM
Kevin,
:D :D :D .
Where is the video camera when you need one! Sounds like a wild ride.
Chris

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-02-2006, 09:27 PM
I have about 150 tapps in one bush that is always a problem to gather. I am going to try to add about 75 taps next year and run about 600 to 800 feet of mainline in a small stream. This way the mainline stays of of the sun and the water will keep it cold. It is only about 1% grade, so that is about the only solution I see. I can roll it up at the end of the season and roll it out before the season starts. I think it will work very good and sure will be a ton better and faster than what I am doing this year. :)

maplehound
03-02-2006, 10:02 PM
Brandon
I don't know what your stream is like but the atream I have going through the woods gets alot of debrie down through it whenever we get a storm. Altough Ilike the idea of using it to keep your sap cool I woould be afraid of a rain storm during the season or shortly after before you get it rolled up. The damage that it would cause maybe more costly than it is worth.
If you do it post some pictures of it I would like to see it and hear how it does for you.
Ron

maple flats
03-03-2006, 06:28 PM
I can't picture how it would work for keeping no low spots or for not getting large buildup's of ice covering it during colder periods. Seems like you would get large masses of ice where it went airborn in places to keep some tension on it to minimise dips. Or is it that you would just try to lay it in the water and let it float, as I doubt you could get it to sink without being full of sap?

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-03-2006, 07:46 PM
It is a small stream, so not too much worry of any debris floating it away. I may try to semi burry it and yes, I am sure it will have sags, but if it is underwater, it won't matter much anyway. Guess I will find out next year, I am not always right, but I can usually come up with some good ideas. :?