View Full Version : 2012 Verona Conference

MTF
12-08-2011, 06:53 AM
General announcement below.

= = = = =
Maple Producer’s Winter Conference
Verona, New York

Dear maple enthusiast: October 20, 2011

On behalf of the Vernon-Verona-Sherrill FFA, I cordially invite you to the 17th Annual Maple Producer’s Winter Conference. The conference is scheduled for January 6th and 7th, 2012 at the Vernon-Verona-Sherrill (V.V.S.) High School, Verona, New York.

More than ever before! Last year, more than 800 people attend the show with 35 of the top maple presenters in North America, 32 workshops, and 35 of the industry’s best manufactures, dealers, and vendors with 65 tables of maple supplies and equipment!

Great time to be a Maple Producer! – With a growing maple industry and emphasis on maple production, many producers are experiencing record production and increased sales of maple syrup. This conference is formatted with you in mind and is dedicated exclusively to maple.

Friday Night format awesome! – Nearly 350 people attended again last year at the Friday Night Trade Show and guest speaker; this year’s presentation will be at 6:00 PM with the Maple Trade Show open from 5:00 PM until 9:00 PM. Continued This Year – Friday Night Maple Auction!
More than $2,500 of equipment and supplies were sold at last year’s auction! We plan to start the auction right after the Friday night speaker. Bring your used or even new maple equipment and place it in Friday night’s auction. To register maple items for the auction, write out a description of the equipment and return to us by December 15th. Information on auction items will be made available via email request after December 28th. Auction service fee will be 15% of auction price paid by seller. You MUST BE REGISTERED FOR FRIDAY NIGHT CONFERENCE IN ORDER TO BE ADMITTED TO THE AUCTION! Please consider selling a piece of equipment in this year’s auction.

For individuals requiring lodging, reservations for overnight accommodations may be made at Hotel at Vernon Downs, Route 31, Vernon (315) 829-3400. (WHEN REGISTERING AT THE HOTEL, PLEASE MENTION THE MAPLE CONFERENCE TO RECEIVE A SPECIAL CONFERENCE RATE OF ONLY $79!) The V.V.S. High School is located between Utica and Syracuse on State Route 31. From State Route 5 in Vernon, take State Route 31 West. From Oneida or Rome, take State Route 365 to State Route 31 East. Just two minutes from NYS Thruway Exit 33, the ideal central location of the school is easily accessible.

Plan Now to Attend –Pre-registration deadline is December 15th
Advanced registration is $15 for Friday night only, $30 for Saturday only, or $40 for both Friday and Saturday. At-the-door registration is $20 for Friday and $40 for Saturday. Registration includes admittance to trade show and all workshops and light meal Friday evening and Saturday continental breakfast, and all-you-can-eat luncheon buffet. No confirmation will be mailed and no refunds of pre-registrations. Receipts are available at conference registration. Please make checks payable to: “V.V.S. FFA”. We look forward to another great maple conference.

tuckermtn
12-08-2011, 08:23 AM
Is there a list of workshops yet?

MTF
12-09-2011, 06:43 AM
This looks a little ugly (could not attach a file larger than 19.5?) but hopefully folks can make this out.
= = = = = =

Session Room Topic Speaker

Session I Auditorium Two taps vs. one: a look at sap yields Tim Wilmot, UVM Proctor Maple Research Center
Session II Auditorium Maple vacuum systems Brad Gillian, Leader Evaporator
Session III Auditorium Managing the sugarhouse Glen Goodrich, Goodrich Maple Farm
Session IV Auditorium Facts and figures about wood fired Force-5 evaporator Rejean Laverdiere, LaPierre Inc.

Session I LGI The impacts of high Brix R.O. concentration on your syrup and on your work Joel Boutin, Quebec Maple Cooperative
Session II LGI Update on current maple research at the UVM Proctor Maple Research Center Dr. Tim Perkins, UVM Proctor Maple Research Center
Session III LGI Taphole sanitation studies: Can the season be extended through taphole sanitation Dr. Tim Perkins, UVM Proctor Maple Research Center
Session IV LGI Practices that result in poor maple flavor and invert levels in sap Joel Boutin, Quebec Maple Cooperative

Session I Media Center Fall Maple Promotion that has attracted over 1000 for three years running Chuck Winship, Pam Masterson, Sugarbush Hollow LLC
Session II Media Center The value of making improvements to our maple operation Rick Newman, Breezie Maples Farm
Session III Media Center Maple tubing and vacuum system design Steve Childs, Cornell Maple Program
Session IV Media Center Tubing systems and tap hole sanitation, research update Steve Childs, Cornell Maple Program/Dean Harvey, Harvey's Maple Spout/Neal - VVS FFA

Session I Middle School Café. Maple fudge, hard candy, taffy and marshmallow Steve Childs, Cornell Maple Program
Session II Middle School Café. What's new in making maple cotton, maple kettle corn and maple Carmel corn Greg Zimpfer, Zimpfer's Maple Products
Session III Middle School Café. Maple cream making for the beginner Dean and Ruth Esther Delevan, Delevan Maple
Session IV Middle School Café. Think Outside the Jug At Your Event - maple products that never make it home Jason and Heidi Wolf, Wolf Maple Products

Session I #11 Producing and Marketing Birch Syrup David Moore
Session II #11 Research results of the SARE farmer grant on tubing sanitation Mike Farrell, Cornell Maple Program, Mike Parker, Parker Family Maple Farm
Session III #11 Strategies for Growing Your Business Mike Farrell, Cornell Maple Program
Session IV #11 The Economics of Buying and Pricing Sap Mike Farrell, Cornell Maple Program

Session I #12 Maple production for the beginner Eric Randall, Randall's Maple Products
Session II #12
Session III #12 Steps we took to go from a back yarder to commercial maple operation - Panel Jeff Benjamin maple, Steven Grant maple, Dave Bruinix -Para-Deys Acres Maple Syrup
Session IV #12 Turning your hobby into a profitable business JJ Schell, CCE Oswego County

Session I #13 Working with a forester David A. Skeval, Onondaga County CCE
Session II #13 Sugarbush Thinning Improves Growth and Sap Peter Smallidge, Cornell Maple Program
Session III #13 The effects of forest pests on the health of your trees Rebecca Hargrave, CCE of Chenango County
Session IV #13 Energy from the Forest Landscape: What Every Maple Producer Needs to Know About Gas, Wind and Right-of-Way Leases Brett Chedzoy, CCE Schuyler County

Session I #14 Selling at shows and farmers markets Dan Weed, Schoolyard Sugarbush
Session II #14 Product liability and farm coverage for the maple producer William Tully, Farm Family Insurance
Session III #14 How to make the most of your “find a Producer”listing on the nysmaple.com website Helen Thomas, Maxon Estate Farms
Session IV #14 More on marketing Michele Ledoux, CCE of Lewis County

Session II Hallway Maple tubing for the beginner demonstration Phil and Hamilton Sage, Sage Family Maple
Session II Shop So you want to weld stainless, limit of 20 Rob Roser, Agriweld
Session III Shop So you want to weld stainless, repeated, limit of 20 Rob Roser, Agriweld
Session III Ag shop hallway Basic Sap House Setups and Considerations for the Beginner Tour and discussion of VVS Sugarhouse

Session I Music Suite Maple Queen and Princess Program
Session II Music Suite Maple Queen and Princess Program
Session III Music Suite Maple Queen and Princess Program
Session IV Music Suite Maple Queen and Princess Program

Session I
Session II TBA Getting it right: grading, labels and other Ag and Markets regulations Sharon Hall, Sherri Card, NYS Ag and Markets
Session III TBA High vacuum without a pump - experiments with 3/16 natural gravity Tim Wilmot, UVM Proctor Maple Research Center
Session IV TBA Bottling syrup for the small maple producer Chris Pfeil, The Maple Guys

Session I Commercial - Whats new at Leader Evaporator
Session II Commercial - Whats new at Lappierre
Session III Commercial
Session IV Commercial

Computer Lab Using websites and social media for promoting your business JJ Schell, CCE Oswego County

Airstreamnut
12-09-2011, 10:41 AM
How does one go about registering.. the costs are listed, but not the HOW to register... can we register online?

maple flats
12-09-2011, 05:34 PM
Go to Cornell's web site www.maple.dnr.cornell.edu Click on NYS Maple Conference under "items of interest". The first page describes it and pg 2 is the application form. I don't think you can register online, you must print the form and mail with your payment. Must be postmarked by 12/15 to get early discount price.

Airstreamnut
12-09-2011, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the information.

gmcooper
12-27-2011, 07:39 PM
Planning to attend this year and was wondering how much inventory dealers have on site and what kind of discounts they usually offer?
The educational program looks super.
Thanks Mark

tuckermtn
12-27-2011, 07:57 PM
MArk- best thing is to call the dealers ahead of time if your looking for something specific. Last year I had CDL bring some NH jugs over. some discounts, especially at 3:30pm on Saturday so they don't have to pack things back up...

maple flats
01-05-2012, 04:04 PM
Does anyone have the final program? The one above has too many TBA's and blanks. I don't seem to come up with it in the searches I tried. In the past I found the program online ahead of the event. I'd rather decide which seminars to attend tonight rather than when I get there. My wife and I usually go to different ones so we get more coverage.
Dave

Airstreamnut
01-05-2012, 05:51 PM
Keith sent it to me yesterday... no TBDs.. email me at AirstreamNut@Gmail.com and I'll send it to you.

Airstreamnut
01-06-2012, 04:37 AM
Session I 9:00 – 10:15

Auditorium Two Taps vs. One: A Look at Sap Yields – Tim Wilmot, UVM Proctor Maple Research Center

LGI The Impacts of High Brix R.O. Concentration on Your Syrup and on Your Work
– Joel Boutin, Quebec Maple Cooperative

Media Center Fall Maple Promotion that has Attracted Over 1000 for Three Years Running
– Chuck Winship, Pam Masterson, Sugarbush Hollow LLC

MS Café Maple Fudge, Hard Candy, Taffy and Marshmallow – Steve Childs, Cornell Maple Program

#11 Strategies for Growing Your Business – Mike Farrell, Cornell Maple Program
#12 Maple Production for the Beginner – Eric Randall, Randall's Maple Products
#13 Working with a Forester – David A. Skeval, Onondaga County CCE
#14 Selling at Shows and Farmers Markets – Dan Weed, Schoolyard Sugarbush

HS Café What’s Up with the New Proposed Standard Maple Grades for US and Canada
– Dave Chapeskie,R.P.F, Executive Director, IMSI

Computer Room Using Websites and Social Media for Promoting Your Business
– JJ Schell, CCE Oswego County

Music Suite Maple Queen and Princess Program

Break 10:15 – 10:45 --

Session II 10:45 – 12:00

Auditorium Maple Vacuum Systems – Brad Gillian, Leader Evaporator

LGI Spouts, Tubing, and Mainline – How Do They Affect Sap Yield? – Dr. Tim Perkins, UVM Proctor Maple Research Center

Media Center Wait Until Next Year! How record keeping has helped us make decisions to improve our operation – Rick Newman, Breezie Maples Farm

MS Café Cotton Candy Machine Maintenance and What’s New on Maple Kettle Corn – Greg Zimpfer, Zimpfer's Maple Products

#11 Research Results of the SARE Farmer Grant on Tubing Sanitation – Mike Farrell, Cornell Maple Program, Mike Parker, Parker Family Maple Farm
#12 New Ideas in Maple Equipment – Tom Zaffis / Steve Bedard, Lapierre USA
#13 Sugarbush Thinning Improves Growth and Sap – Peter Smallidge, Cornell Maple Program
#14 Product Liability and Farm Coverage for the Maple Producer – William Tully, Farm Family Insurance

HS Café Getting it Right: Grading, Labels and Other Ag and Markets Regulations – Sharon Hall, Sherri Card, NYS Ag and Markets

Auditorium Hallway Maple Tubing for the Beginner Demonstration – Phil and Hamilton Sage, Sage Family Maple

Ag Shop Welding, Soldering, and Fabricating with Stainless Steel limit of 20 – first come basis – Rob Roser, Agriweld

Trade Show Luncheon 12:00 – 1:15 -- Lunch served in Sheveron, be sure to visit all of our maple vendors

Session III 1:15 – 2:30

Auditorium Managing the Sugarhouse – Glen Goodrich, Goodrich Maple Farm

LGI Want More Sap? Keep Your Tapholes Clear – Dr. Tim Perkins, UVM Proctor Maple Research Center

Media Center Maple Tubing and Vacuum System Design – Steve Childs, Cornell Maple Program

MS Café Maple Cream Making for the Beginner – Dean and Ruth Esther Delevan, Delevan Maple

#11 Producing and Marketing Birch Syrup – David Moore, The Crooked Chimney
#12 Steps We Took to go From a Back Yarder to Commercial Maple Operation – Panel: Jeff Benjamin maple, Steven Grant maple, Dave Bruinix -Para-Deys Acres Maple Syrup

#13 The Effects of Forest Pests on the Health of Your Trees – Rebecca Hargrave, CCE of Chenango County
#14 How to Make the Most of Your “Find a Producer” Listing on nysmaple.com

HS Café High Vacuum Without a Pump - Experiments with 3/16 Natural Gravity – Tim Wilmot, UVM Proctor Maple Research Center

Ag Shop Hallway Basic Sap House Setups and Considerations for the Beginner Tour and Discussion of VVS Sugarhouse (Weather permitting)

Ag Shop So You Want to Weld Stainless Repeated - limit of 20, first come basis – Rob Roser, Agriweld

Break 2:30 – 3:00 -- Coffee and refreshments in the Trade Show area

Session IV 3:00 – 4:00

Auditorium Facts and Figures about Wood Fired Force-5 Evaporator – Rejean Laverdiere, LaPierre Inc.

LGI Practices that Result in Poor Maple Flavor and Invert Levels in Sap – Joel Boutin, Quebec Maple Cooperative

Media Center Tubing Systems and Tap Hole Sanitation, Research Update – Steve Childs, Cornell Maple Program/Dean Harvey, Harvey's Maple Spout/Neal Collins - VVS FFA

MS Café Think Outside the Jug at Your Event - Maple Products That Never Make it Home – Jason and Heidi Wolf, Wolf Maple Products

#11 The Economics of Buying and Pricing Sap – Mike Farrell, Cornell Maple Program
#12 Turning Your Hobby into a Profitable Business – JJ Schell, CCE Oswego County
#13 Energy from the Forest Landscape: What Every Maple Producer Needs to Know About Gas, Wind and Right-of-Way Leases – Brett Chedzoy, CCE Schuyler County
#14 Marketing and the Best Way to Make It Work for YOU – Michele Ledoux, CCE of Lewis County

HS Café Bottling Syrup for the Small Maple Producer – Chris Pfeil, The Maple Guys

Closing 4:15 PM

maple flats
01-06-2012, 04:57 AM
Thanks, just what I needed.
Dave

Flat Lander Sugaring
12-09-2012, 05:43 PM
So what about Verona 2013?

Bucket Head
12-09-2012, 09:18 PM
There is a schedule posted on Cornell's maple program website.

Steve

HungryBearFarms
01-02-2013, 06:57 PM
We will be going, Hungry Bear Farms. We will have a table in the vendor area. We sale beekeeping equipment. I know its a maple show, but last time I went there was alot of interest in beekeeping by maple producers. So we figured we would give it a try.

If you want us to bring your order and save on shipping let me know.

See you there.

shane hickey
01-02-2013, 07:46 PM
My neighbor does this but never seems to have enough
I would buy 5 gallons if you lived closer we go through alot of honey

Flat Lander Sugaring
01-03-2013, 06:46 PM
Priming kidneys and liver tonight getting reafoo. d the weekend

delivron
01-03-2013, 08:57 PM
New York Producers Site shows this list of Conference Speakers.

http://nysmaple.com/pdfs/2013_Maple_Info_and_Registration.pdf

This is a lot different from the text listed earlier.

Flat Lander Sugaring
01-04-2013, 04:49 AM
New York Producers Site shows this list of Conference Speakers.

http://nysmaple.com/pdfs/2013_Maple_Info_and_Registration.pdf

This is a lot different from the text listed earlier.

the text earlier in this post was last years line up.
so many classes I want to sit it on just cant split myself in fourths