PDA

View Full Version : How do I lift the hood with tall stacks attached?

pdr
12-07-2011, 07:33 PM
I'm ready to install about 20' each of 14" flue pan steam stack and 8" front pan steam stack on a used 3x8 evaporator with a full length hood. The rig is offset, located in the middle of a 16' wide addition to a 30' wide barn. Although half of the 20' will be above the roof, the top of the stacks barely extend above the center roof line. I guy-wired the upper 10' of smoke stack, but am just realizing that I can't do the same with the steam stacks because I won't be able to raise the hood to clean the pans. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Sako
12-07-2011, 08:08 PM
My suggestion if you have not bought all the pipe yet would be to do your stacks to just above your roof collars with hood down with a slight gap so they will slide and mount approx 1-2in bigger or so stack to the roof collars (you could put a couple weep holes for condensate that runs down the top pipe and would exit at the connection to the cone)and anchor it to the roof and do your guy-wires with a cap on top.
Good luck
Chris

Sunday Rock Maple
12-07-2011, 08:09 PM
Mount the through the roof portion with the top hat permanently to the roof and make it weather proof. The bottom portion that is attached to the hoods should be smaller diameter so that it will slide through the top pipe when you raise the hood. The other option is to just have the stacks terminate inside a cupalo and leave them short enough so they don't hit the top when you raise the hoods.

RUSTYBUCKET
12-08-2011, 03:40 PM
The plan for my steam hood and stack follows what Sunday wrote using this....

http://www.itwbuildex.com/gcs_flashings_dektite.shtml

Has anyone used these pipe flashings for steam stacks ?

- Russ

maple flats
12-09-2011, 06:06 PM
I raise mine using a winch mounted on the end wall. I have 10" stacks attached to the hood (2 stacks), then I have 2 - 8" stacks suspended from in the cupola, and they hang a few inches inside their corresponding 10" stack. At each corned I have a 1/8" cable attached and each goes straight up to a pulley mounted on the ceiling. Each pulley then routs the cables towards the winch cable. The winch cables thus pulls each exactly the same. I can raise my hood over 24", using just 1 hand and I reverse the winch and it lowers back to a proper fit onto the pans. Actually, I have a full cover hood on the flue pan with an extension out over the front pan. My hood design came from studying WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER's pictures of what he has, then I designed my hood lift.