PDA

View Full Version : Building a cheap evaporator

BCurry01
12-07-2011, 05:51 PM
Hello,
Made about a gallon of syrup in 2011 on an old pan I found in my dad's basement. Roughly 2*4*2. Not very deep. Set up on blocks. Had a great time boiling sap and drinking beer. Now I'm hooked and Looking to upgrade, but cheaply. Thinking about making an arch out of a 55 gallon drum with a wood stove kit. Legs, Door, Exhaust. Has anybody every used on old stainless sink for a pan? And what are your thoughts about pulling off the syrup from the bottom of the sink / Pan. Or any other ideas on a cheap evaporator for about 50 taps. Found some tress and a friend got me some buckets. Can't wait for Spring. Bill

smitty76
12-07-2011, 07:13 PM
Hello Bill,
I have no experience with using a ss sink, but have read several posts on here about them. Not exactly sure as how to draw off from the bottom. however, a 55 gal drum and stove kit is a good low cost upgrade. We started with one we built that was about 3' x 3' ss welded pan and it worked great. The only suggestion I have is to fire brick the bottom half of the barrel, as it will greatly improve you efficentcy and boiling rate.

Good luck,
Smith Family Maple

bobsklarz
12-07-2011, 08:49 PM
Go to Amazon and under books, type in "Backyard Sugaring" A new third edition just out will give you ENDLESS suggestions on going the "cheap" route with wonderful results. Good Luck!

Stamford sugarmaker
12-07-2011, 10:22 PM
X 2 on "Backyard Sugaring". Great book to get you started!

Peter

markct
12-08-2011, 03:04 PM
i have seen a few people use sinks, and seemed to work well, but you would need to remove the drain and weld in the hole as the syrup would likely burn in the pipe if you tried to drawoff thru it, i would recomend putting a drawoff port on one side. what area of ct are you from? if your anywhere near the northwest corner your welcome to come see my operation and i could tig weld in the drain hole in your sink while your here. my first evaporator was a barrel stove type made from a large propane tank and a stainless pan made from a commercial freezer door! my neighbor owns it now and still makes syrup with it every year

BCurry01
12-18-2011, 06:20 PM
Thanks all for the encouragement. I picked up some 55 gallon drums today. I also got a stove kit from Tractor Supply. I'm thinking about welding 2 drums together for a larger area. I'm thinking the sink idea is not going to work. During my surfing for ideas I see pans that are both divided and some where there is a pan in the back that is elevated from the front pan. I would like a pan that would allow for me to draw off finish syrup. Without a second finishing operation. Will a divide pan work if I drip the sap in one corner of the pan and the draw off the other side. I don't quit understand how the divide pan works. It looks like the top pan does most of the boiling and bottom pan is for finishing, is that correct? Is that because the heat would be higher in the back of the arch. Close to the exhaust. What is everyone thought about a warming pan. It seems to me, if I can control the flow into the pan and not put to much in as to lose the boil I should me ok? Or should I try to pre-heat the sap?

BCurry01
12-18-2011, 06:24 PM
Maple Addict,

I'm on the Rhode Island border. Thanks for the help. If I'm every heading your way, I would love to see your set up.

Bill