PDA

View Full Version : Venting tubing

Fred Henderson
03-02-2006, 05:10 AM
Should I vent my gravity tubing? some around here say yes and some say no. What do most of you do?

sweetwoodmaple
03-02-2006, 05:44 AM
I think pretty much everyone is on non-vented. You get some natural vacuum that way if you have decent slope to your system.

There were some posts a while back on this if you use the search engine.

Brian

markcasper
03-02-2006, 05:46 AM
If you have sufficient slope, DO NOT VENT. If you have less than 5% slope on your laterals, it may be beneficial in preventing air locks. Someone will disagree with me though i am sure. Mark

maplwrks
03-02-2006, 06:03 PM
Venting tubing went out 15 years ago! A closed system keeps your tap holes fresher also.

brookledge
03-02-2006, 06:52 PM
Exactly what maple works said. Lamb used to make there taps with 5/16 in and out so you could vent the taps.
Keith

markcasper
03-03-2006, 06:21 AM
guys, i think he meant a vent at the end of line, not every tap. Definately NOT at every tap! Mark

Fred Henderson
03-03-2006, 07:05 AM
Yes, at the end of the line is what I was asking. I am old school and know very little about tubing. I got abot 30 taps on tubing in 2 different locations and the grade is more than 5% at each site.

markcasper
03-03-2006, 10:30 PM
if you have more than 5% grade on the lines, not the land itself, then don't vent them. My experience says don't do it. Mark

mountainvan
03-04-2006, 06:47 PM
in the dark ages when I started sugaring venting was a commen practice, manly to take care of vapor blocks in the 5/16 tubing. I still have a paper written by bob lamb, lets talk tubing, in which he said you should vent every tap on every tree. so about 15 years ago when I did my first "big bush"(minds on sugaring), I did half vented and half not into two different containers. sap flow was same for each at the beginning, vented shut down at least a week before the nonvented. Vented tubing was disgusting from fungul growth, used old style purple lamb tubing, nonvented was not. the thing that killed venting for me was when sap came out of the vents first thing in the morning if the tubing was'nt completly thawed, and when there was a sharp temp drop and the tubing froze before the tree. now only closed system with large enough mainline for # taps. a good tubing setup not only increases your sap yeild and quality, but makes for so many less problems in the years ahead. hope this helps

Fred Henderson
03-04-2006, 07:17 PM
All you guy's that have replied have give me a lot of insight and help. Thank you all.

mountainvan
03-04-2006, 09:55 PM
hey fred, off your subject, but do you know my brotherinlaw mike zagrobelny? if you do and you see him tell him van says hey. norwoods not a very big place.

Fred Henderson
03-05-2006, 03:33 AM
I have heard the name but I do not know him. I am about 6 miles from Norwood but that is the zip code that I am under.

ibby458
03-06-2006, 06:53 AM
Hey - I know Mike Zagrobelny. (Voted for him, too). He teaches my kids at Madrid Waddington. Does a good job of it, too.