PDA

View Full Version : Sugarhouse design suggestions

Friar_Athanasius
12-02-2011, 09:13 PM
We (our monastery) were just given a used 16'x20' horse shed. I am wondering if any of you seasoned professionals (or armchair professionals) have a good idea for a layout. I do have a 2x4 arch and as you can see from the pictures the roof is not a normal one with the highest point in the middle so I am wondering where the arch would best go. I am also wanting to build a cupola with shutters to let the steam out. We are not into any heavy production, just for personal use. I will also probably use the place to store buckets and if there is room some of my beekeeping equip. Thanks in advance for the suggestions.4895489648974898

SeanD
12-03-2011, 06:03 AM
How cool is it that you were given that? That thing is great.

I have my evap. pretty centered under the cupola, but a lot of folks don't and it's no big deal even without a hood especially if your cupola is large enough. The steam will roll up to your ceiling and find its way out. Those walls look pretty tall and that's a good thing. The steam will get up out of your way pretty quickly. I think the venting under your eaves will help, too, but you might also get some condensation on the tops of your walls when it's cold enough. So, I'd place the evaporator where it will give you plenty of space for you or visitors to walk around it and still leave you plenty of room for wood, a table, your hauler, etc.

What's that white stuff all over your shed and lawn?

Sean

morningstarfarm
12-08-2011, 09:12 PM
my shack is the same rough roof shape..the cupola isn't going to work well..personally I built a hood that sits about 18" over the pans..frame it square right to the roof wherever you want it to be placed in the room. Then I put in a roof vent blower from home depot...it has a mushroom cover so it is weather tight. cost me about a hundred bucks to built it total..good luck