PDA

View Full Version : curing time for refractory cement?

Stamford sugarmaker
12-01-2011, 06:05 PM
I recently firebricked my new 2 X 4. For most of the application the temperature was in the mid forties for 24 hours after I finished.

Will those temps be warm enough to cure the cement? Also, should I start a couple of small fires to complete the curing process?

thanks, Peter

GramaCindy
12-01-2011, 07:05 PM
When I did mine this fall it was in the low 40's at night, and I put a 100 watt lightbulb in overnight for two nights, then made a VERY small fire in the arch with the pan on top full of water, (good time for a test boil, although slow) for about 1 hour.

red maples
12-02-2011, 08:21 AM
me too I put a 100 watt bulb and put a piece of wood over the stack so the heat stays in the arch. I think the low fire needs to go for an hour? just go by what the recomendations say on the container!! but the key is to keep it low!!! there is moisture in the bricks from the aplication of the cement and it need to come out slowly or you will get bubbles in the cement and it will get brittle before it cures 100%.

maple flats
12-02-2011, 06:04 PM
I bricked my old 2x6 just before the season. After bricking I too set a light 1 night. The next day I put water in the pans and ran a fire just hot enough to simmer for about 3 hrs. Then I started adding sap and slow boil the first day. After that it was full bore as needed. In the end the refractory held up very well.