PDA

View Full Version : spigots

saphead
03-01-2006, 05:57 PM
Just curious as to what brand of spigots people use and why... pros and cons,likes and dislikes,new adapter type?,etc.

brookledge
03-01-2006, 06:21 PM
I use IPL health spouts. I have had good luck with them and I probably would have tried leader health spout but they came out after I already had IPL and I didn't want to mix and have two different drill sizes. My oldest ones are about 5-6 years old maybe older (time flies) and Ihave never had one break. Prior to the health spout I used Blue Lamb 7/16 and every once and a while an old one would break sometimes in the tree.
I also might try the new inserts (disposable type) next year. I was going to this year but with the cold weather and since I haven't tapped yet I don't see the advantage. I get a good 5-6 weeks now so when I tap that will take me into April.
What I'm hoping for is maybe next year tapping around Feb 1st with the sanitary inserts and see if I can get 8 weeks of run time. I'll also be glad to hear coments on those that did use them this year.
There is no doubt that new spouts will run longer than old ones. And it seems that removing spouts and boiling alone does not kill every form of bacteria.
Good luck
Keith

Fred Henderson
03-01-2006, 06:23 PM
I will start next year with all 5/16 SS for both bucket and tube. I have been using 7/16 cast steel and plastic.

maplwrks
03-01-2006, 06:27 PM
I use IPL 2 piece spouts and wash the spout part real good in boiling water and clorox. The third year it will be replaced. It has been proven that new spouts increase sap production.

markcasper
03-02-2006, 05:43 AM
Keith, I recieved my throw away adaptors from leader a few days ago. I am going to put these on all my health spouts. I will continue to use the 7/16" to 5/16" reducers. Wash them and maybe even give each one a bleach soaking and brush, then boil them in a big pot for an hour or so.

Probably not as good as new, but much better than putting a old spout attached to the drop thats been in the woods for 6-7 years.

I have gotten more than accaptable results from re-using the sanitized reducers, versus the plain health spouts alone-those always stop running first. Will let you know how they work. Mark

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-03-2006, 07:48 PM
I use the Leader tree saver and love them. :D