PDA

View Full Version : The Mineral Wool Board in the Classifieds

Indiana-Jones
11-30-2011, 01:43 PM
Has anyone bought the mineral wool board from the add in the classifieds? If so what did you think??

C.Wilcox
11-30-2011, 09:26 PM
That appears to be what's generally called "archboard". I bought some under the product name "KFAC-19" and installed it in my arch. Seems to help keep the heat in where it belongs. I used the 1" thick stuff, but the outside of my arch still gets plenty hot enough to burn me so I probably could have gone with 1.5". Either way it's a good product.

Stamford sugarmaker
11-30-2011, 09:56 PM
I just bought the 1" green archboard from Bascom's for my new 2 X 4, if that's what you are talking about. On the sides and front of the firebox I protected the archboard with half bricks and on the back of the firebox I used full bricks.

C.Wilcox, did you use brick with your rig?

Peter

C.Wilcox
12-01-2011, 07:38 AM
Yes. I lined everything with split bricks except for a single line of full bricks at the very back. My hope was the single row of full bricks would force the heat up against the bottom of the pan right before it exited out the stack. Seems to work pretty well. If you don't brick over your archboard it will last all of about 10 minutes before crumbling. It's very soft and fragile.

There are some photos of my bricking in this thread: http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?6923-Fuel-Oil-Drum-Evaporator

Indiana-Jones
12-01-2011, 07:52 AM
Wilcox, did you build your own door? I looked for a old wood burner to use for the door, but gave up the search and did the barrel stove kit. It seems smaller to me than what would be ideal. I guess that I could put "redo the door" on the future improvements list. Nice work on your rig.

I'm at work now, so I guess I need to try to focus something besides maple.

1badsapper
12-01-2011, 01:04 PM
I'm new to the maple syrup making, can some one explain what "arch board" is and its function. I plan on building my arch with masonry, that's my occupation. I drew up plans, but I don't understand about arch board and its purpose.

whalems
12-01-2011, 01:10 PM
arch board or ceramic blanket is used to insulate the arch and keep the heat on the bottom of the pans. in a traditional arch the sides of the arch get really hot so it helps me from burning myself as often:D with a masonry arch I don't know if there would be as much benifit. But there are many folks on here with block arches that may chime in. Good luck, Mike

1badsapper
12-01-2011, 01:31 PM
Thanks Mike, have a good year!

Indiana-Jones
12-01-2011, 05:24 PM
I thought that I would close out this thread with what I learned.

A case of 1ft X 3ft board, 48 square ft cost $95.00, which sounds fair enough. So, I e-mailed and asked for the shipping cost and receive a prompt and courteous reply. $140.00 truck freight to Indiana for 1 carton. I'm guessing that I could have a full pallet of cartons shipped for not a whole lot more.

I finally made up my mind and ordered a roll of 1 1/2 inch blanket, 100 bucks total with shipping.

GramaCindy
12-01-2011, 05:43 PM
THAT, Indiana Jones is why I used the insulation board available at my (fairly local) supplier. $12 for a 1x3' board. Easy to saw, used protective mask. Not good to breath. I figured, "why not" it's better than just brick!

Indiana-Jones
12-01-2011, 06:34 PM
Hi GramaCindy
I searched local for a couple of months. Some of the insulation contractors I talked to said they could order it in, but I would still get stuck with shipping and they were higher than a cats back too.

You sure are lucky to have a local supplier. We just don't have a maple supplier handy here in Southern Indiana.

GramaCindy
12-01-2011, 06:56 PM
Hey Indiana Jones….did you check with the local fireplace guys? Some have this stuff on hand. That's where I got my refractory cement. Keep looking, there has GOT to be someone in the area that uses this stuff and can get you some!
Hi GramaCindy
I searched local for a couple of months. Some of the insulation contractors I talked to said they could order it in, but I would still get stuck with shipping and they were higher than a cats back too.

You sure are lucky to have a local supplier. We just don't have a maple supplier handy here in Southern Indiana.

GramaCindy
12-01-2011, 06:59 PM
Also, I think my insulation was actually mineral wool or "archboard" easy to cut with a hand saw or knife. Check the post above.
Hey Indiana Jones….did you check with the local fireplace guys? Some have this stuff on hand. That's where I got my refractory cement. Keep looking, there has GOT to be someone in the area that uses this stuff and can get you some!