PDA

View Full Version : New small scale auto draw off

Brent
11-30-2011, 11:01 AM
I want to let Traders know of a new low cost modulating auto draw off available for smaller evaporators. It's not on their web site or in the catalog yet.

CDL has been putting one together that really appealed to me because it used an Omron
programable controller, a commercially produced actuator (Belimo) and a commercial ball valve. To me, it should be a rock solid device. But the price tag was high and it was made for large evaporators, 2" MPT adaptors and corresponding heavy valve.

They are now offering a smaller unit at $ 950. Same controller and same actuator on a 1" ball valve.

Our local dealer, Atkinson, is putting a "kit" together for me with a diary (tri-clamp) fitting on the valve and two ball valves with 1" MPT and 2 dairy fittings so I can move the draw off to reverse the flows on the pans. All in $ 1250. Canadian.
I've ordered it.

PS by modulating they mean that it is supposed to regulate the opening so it stabilizes and gives a continuous draw.

jasonl6
11-30-2011, 01:40 PM
Or you could have saved some money and tried this one - http://mapleguru.com

http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?14852-anyone-tried-the-maple-guru-auto-drawoff

Personally if i get around to getting enough money for a draw-off this year it will be the maple guru. For $1250 i can pay my kid $1 per draw off all season long and be farther ahead (and so would he).

Jason

Brent
11-30-2011, 02:12 PM
Been there ... done that. Had enough of home made buggy logic units.

What appeals to me about this is the bullet proof Omron controller.

Next time you're in a hospital look at all the Omron stuff there. Or a machine shop. Omron components everywhere in our machine tools.

When an auto-draw off fails you need a new pan, unless you're lucky enough to catch it in time.

jasonl6
11-30-2011, 03:27 PM
I'm sure your right, At this time in my hobby i couldn't justify that price. I only paid $2500 for my pans. When i upgrade to a leader or lapieer rig then i would be more careful and get a industrial unit.

Jason