PDA

View Full Version : License question

GCunningham
11-29-2011, 07:48 PM
This is my second year in this crazy addicting hobby we call sugaring and I am finding that it's not extremely expensive if I keep things low key. But, when I started looking at "an easier way" I'm finding myself spending more than I intended.I bought a new John Deere Gator, a new log splitter and chainsaw. Now I am considering chucking all the milk jugs I used last year and invest in all new sap buckets. I know to sell to a retail store I would need a license and lots of stainless kitchen stuff but I don't need one to sell to the public. My question is: Can I use the items I bought this year as a tax write off and try to recoup some of the cash I put out. I live in Michigan and not sure where to start with the license.

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
11-29-2011, 08:16 PM
start with your account

Potters3
11-30-2011, 05:39 AM
Talk to your accountant, last year I started a new operation after working with a neighbor the last 15 yrs. We where able to write off anything we had bought for the sugar bush. Made a huge differents, Uncle Sam sent me a check back.

firetech
11-30-2011, 05:48 AM
On all your licence questions call the MI dept of Ag and find out who the inspector is in your area and visit with them about the wholesale food licence and cottage food bill you are able to sell now with the proper labeling. Taxes is another sticky area because every person's is diffent. I was already filling the 1040F before my maple buisness started and we just stayed there running everything under Agriculuteral. But tax law is best left to the right people. I don't need the head ache. What your home town GC? Nice to see you still are around R.Ogdan.